Time off from a Desk Job?

Hello! I am set for my breast augmentation consult on May 7th. I am starting to talk with my coworkers about the time off I will meed pre and post surgery. I do not have the luxury of just taking off large chunks of time, because we have to cover the work as a team and we are very busy (I am a nurse case manager for an insurance company). Can you please give me a general idea of what I would need off? And typically how many pre and post op appointments are needed? Thanks!

Time off from a desk job for a breast augmentation

+2

The only activities I would restrict a patient to after a breast augmentation would be not to lift greater than 20 pounds and avoid activities where the breasts bounce up and down for 6 weeks.  As long as you stay in a well fitting bra you should be fine.  YOu also can not drive a car when taking pain medications. Atlanta Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Z

How Long Do I Need To Take Off For A Desk Job After BAM

+2

Thank you for your question.  If you are sitting at a desk all day that doesn't require heavy lifting of anything 15lbs or heavier, I would say if you had your BAM on a Thursday, you could go back to work on Monday knowing that you will want to take it easy or perhaps take a half day if possible.  You will fatigued sooner so if it's at all possible, gradually work your way back into a full schedule.  Everyone is different though.  Some of my patients bounce back and don't even need pain medication, others take a full week.  Just listen to your body and follow your surgeon's post op istructions.  As for follow up visits, I typically see my patients the very next day and then a week later and so on.  ac

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Great Question About Time Off Work Following Breast Augmentation

+2

This is a question that I'm asked all the time. Truth is that people need to take work, family and social commitments into account when planning for a surgery! While this can be frustrating for many, it certainly helps when you have a desk job, as you typically can return to work much faster. Without physical demands from jobs that involve lifting or strenuous activities, you should be able to realistically return to work after just 3-5 days.

Although I usually recommend 1 week as a general rule of thumb, many of my patients will have their Breast Augmentation mid-week on a Wednesday, Thursday or Friday and go back to work on a Monday with no difficulty.

After 25+ years of specializing in breast augmentation surgery, I've had women from just about every type of work environment as a patient. One of the most common reasons for setbacks following breast augmentation is over-doing things too quickly. Athletes usually have the most difficulty waiting to return to activities, and try to convince themselves that because their body is used to it, they won't have problems. These activities should always be discussed with your surgeon beforehand.

Those with more physical jobs might need wait 2 weeks. If you're active military or have an extremely physical job that involves a lot of heavy lifting, we might even recommend a bit longer before returning to full workload. 

My patients are usually off of any narcotic pain pills after 1-3 days which means they can return to driving, which is an important consideration as well. If you have co-workers who are willing to help out and lessen your load, you'll probably do well returning to work after a few days of R&R at home.

The bottom line: it's always a good thing to discuss when to return to work with your surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.dr-youngforever.blogspot.com/2011/12/heed-your-surgeons-advice-on-exercise.html

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Quick recovery after Breast Implant surgery

+2

Most women bounce back quickly from breast implant surgery.  For a non lifting job, 3-5 days.  For a heavy lifting job it could be 2-3 weeks.  Vigorous activity restrictions are usually for 6 weeks (volleyball, kick boxing, softball, etc.)

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Time off from a Desk Job?

+2

Most of my patients are back in 3 to 5 days after breast implant surgery, excluding those who do heavy physical work. That time frame seems reasonable as an expectation for you. All the best. 

How Much Time Do I Need Off From Work After A Breast Augmentation?

+2

For women with non-physical jobs, most of them return to work after 3-5 days. Many of my patients will have BA on a Thursday or Friday and go back to work on a Monday or Tuesday. For women with more physical jobs it may take up to 2 weeks. Pain medication use varies as well. Most of my patients are off of the narcotic pain pills after 1-3 days.  Discuss returning to work with your surgeon. 

Web reference: http://www.mpsmn.com/dr-gervais

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Time off from work after a breast augmentation

+2

I think it is safe to say give yourself a week to get back to a desk job position if you are having a breast augmentation.

Typical downtime after a breast augmentation

+2
I tell my patients that most people after a breast augmentation take pain pills the night of the surgery and the following morning. Most are just taking Ibuprofen beyond that. No driving while taking narcotic pain meds, but that is usually only until the second day after surgery. Some have driven the day after surgery and that is fine just as long as they aren't taking the nacrcotic. Return to work depends on the type of job. A desk job is easy and someone can go back in just a few days. Any job that requires lifting (eg. nurse, waitress, assembly, etc,) that will take longer and depends on the amount of lifting during the job. I ask for no lifting that requires any exertion for at least 2 weeks. When it comes to babies, the same thing applies. Patients need a little help getting an infant into the crib for the first 2 weeks. Beyond that they are fine. Lastly, I ask patients to hold off on strenuous activity, like exercise, for one month. I feel that this is the safest thing to do to help insure the prettiest outcome. I hope this helps.
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Time Off for Breast Augmentation

+2

Most, but not all, patients with desk jobs can go back to work after a week.  You must be off narcotic pain medication to drive and function properly and be able to handle the wheel of your car in a crisis situation.

Check with your surgeon who will decide based on your particular situation and procedure.  Be ready to call in sick if you just can't quite go back when planned.

Good luck with your procedure and recovery!

Worcester Plastic Surgeon

Time off after surgery

+2

We recommend out patients take 1 week off for desk jobs, 2 weeks for more labor intensive activities. Our practice integrates long acting pain relief or pain pumps in our patient's after care protocol also so that patients can move back to normal activity more quickly! There are many factors that will help you decide when you can return including arm and driving restrictions. Of course, speak to your plastic surgeon as to their protocol for returning to work. Good luck with your upcoming procedure!

Altoona Plastic Surgeon