Can Any Improvement Be Made to my Belly Button? (photo)

I had a revision done to my belly button about two weeks, and this is the result thus far. I'm not really thrilled with the results. I think it will improve as far as the pleats on top of the scar, but I was really hoping for it to be smaller and closer to an innie. I'm not sure if anything can be done to improve it? I don't want to repeatedly mess with it,but I'd really like it to look better

Belly Button Revision at 2 Weeks

+2

The scar should soften and lighten and the contour should improve over the next few months to a year.  The scar may be much less noticeable at that time and less concerning to you.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Can Any Improvement Be Made to my Belly Button?

+2

Early in healing phase but appears as if your are not going to be happy. But I would recommend to leave alone. 

Improving a Belly Button

+2

I would not recommend anything at this time since it has only been two weeks since your revision.  Any additional attempt should not be done for several months or even up to a year.  An "innie" will probably not be possible since it looks like you don't have much fat around it.  One possible option in the future would be to do a "lolipop" closure which we call a v-y closure.  It will give a smaller circle opening but will also give a small vertical scar just below the belly button.  Good luck.

Martin O'Toole, MD

Umbilical revision--your belly button will be better over time.

+2

Scarring is still immature, and this should continue to improve over the next 6-12 months, especially if you avoid ANY ultraviolet exposure, including tanning beds!

The degree of improvement, of course, depends on how your belly button looked pre-op, and pre-revision. Also, since you are quite thin, your subcutaneous fat layer is thin, and there's not much depth to achieve an "innie."

Like periareolar, donut, or Benelli breast lifts, trying to suture a large circumference to a small circumference will ALWAYS create pleating and bunching to some degree. The same applies to umbilical revisions.

That being said, give your most recent surgery time to settle and the scars to soften and mature before thinking about round 3! Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

+2

Thanks for your question. Unfortunately the photo doesn't have quite enough detail for a better answer. But I would expect improvement in the scar and the pleating. But unless there is a lot of swelling within the navel, I don't think you will  have an "innie." I would wnat to know if there is a hernia present that may have not been addressed. 

I would suggest waiting for a number of months to see how the scar matures before deciding about whether or not to pursue further revision surgery. All the best. 

Belly Button Can Be Improved

+2
It is difficult to tell from your photos, but you are correct that with belly buttons a smaller "innie" is better.  I would recommend discussing further revision with your surgeon.  All the best.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Belly Button Scar

+2

Based on your picture, the scar on the upper portion is thickened, but this may resolve with time.  I don't think you are going to achieve a more innie appearance with further revision due to the shape of your belly button and abdomen.

Donald Griffin, MD

Wait 6 months before revision of belly button repair

+1

Thank you for your question. I am always impressed with the amount of improvement of the belly button over the course of 6 months. Your movements and the attachments of your belly button to the muscle will definitely alter and hopefully smooth out the pleating and pulled the belly button inward. You are correct that repeated revisions can often lead to worse results.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Belly Button Results Two Weeks Post Op

+1

2 weeks post belly button surgery, it is normal for the swelling to make the belly button appear to protrude.  Hopefully this will resolve with time.  I would not consider revision for 6 months to a year.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Belly Button Revision Result

+1

Further improvements in the shape and depth of your belly button can probably be made. But you need to leave it heal for a minimum of six months before attempting any further revision.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD