Did I Break my Nose After Rhinoplasty?

I applied a Biore pore strip to my nose 21 days post-op. After 5 minutes of application,I gently took it off. My nose swelled but didn't bleed. From that time I noticed a hump on the nasal bone and now it's becoming more prominent. At 1 month post-op now my nose looks different. I asked my husband if it looked crooked to him and he said yes. It was a "revision" surgery after trauma to my original nose. What are the chances I sabotaged the results? I can send pictures to the interested doctors.

Biore Strip Removal 3 Weeks after Rhinoplasty

+1

Biore strip removal 3 weeks after rhinoplasty would not likely produce damage unless a cartilage graft was used.  This is impossible to say without an exam or without knowing specifically what was done.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

It is unlikely you broke your nose

+1

After rhinoplasty surgery it is best not to use anything on the nose that may manipulate the bones or the underlying cartilage.  A strip on the nose may cause some swelling but most likely this will resolve.  Visit the surgeon and outline your concerns.

Robert Mounsey, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling with Pore Strip after Rhinoplasty

+1

Pore strips, such as Biore, immediately after rhinoplasty is not recommended. Pulling or manipulating the nose and skin can potentially affect the cartilage, bone, or cause swelling/bleeding. Once adequate time has passed from surgery, then one may resume the pore strips if desired. This waiting time will vary based on the specifics of the particular rhinoplasty, but one month might be sufficient.

However, you should ask your rhinoplasty surgeon. While it's more likely using the pore strips may only cause temporary swelling after rhinoplasty, only your surgeon can best advise you.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Did you break your nose again?

+1

I really don't think that using Biore pads would move the bones at all, especially after three weeks, but it could have produced some swelling. Give more time for the swelling to go down before jumping to any conclusions as to whether you need further surgery.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Did I break my nose after rhinoplasty?

+1

It is unlikely a Biore strip can cause any significant damage to the nose. At 21 days post op, you will still be experiencing swelling. Swelling can persist for a while, and the final result of surgery is not evident for 18-24 months following your procedure. I would recommend following up with your surgeon, as he/she will be able to provide you with the best advice on your issue. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Post operative changes following a rhinoplasty

+1

It is unlikely that any device that you applied to the skin of your nose at 3 weeks following rhinoplasty would cause a permanent change to the external appearance to your nose. Give it a chance to settle down on its own.,  

Injury after rhinoplasty

+1

A standard rhinoplasty involves freeing up the nasal bones from their bases and from the midline septum to allow re-positioning. They then take a few weeks to settle in their new position. There is a chance a pull or knock on the nose can disturb this process. Please see your surgeon so that he can examine youi and offer appropriate advice.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Biore strip on nose

+1

I doubt that a biore stirp would have caused any problems, but why were you using it in the first plae?

Rhinoplasty Complication

+1

Sorry to hear of your concerns following rhinoplasty. Without a picture, it is hard to tell if you may have injured your nose following your procedure. That said, I would guess that you did nothing to injure your nose  but are still experiencing some post operative swelling, which can continue for several months, and in some cases, even up to a year following a revision rhinoplasty. If you feel like your results have been compromised, a quick visit to your original surgeon should help reassure you that the current swelling you may be experiencing is temporary and normal.  Good luck to you.  

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon