PIP Implant Removal - Capsulectomy?

I have the PIPs mentioned in the media currently. I am considering not getting them replaced and just removed entirely. I have had them since 2005 and i'm now 25 years old. I was an AA cup before surgery and the implants have taken me to a B/C cup. I think they are above the muscle. Due to the nature of the silicone inside these implants it seems to be recommended that you have them taken out with a capsulectomy but im really thin - ive read this can be dangerous if you are thin so am worried.

PIP implant removal

+2

It is highly desireable to remove both the implant and the capsule with the PIP implant that you have had your augmentation with in the past.  It should not be dangerous for you to have this done, even though you state that you are very thin.  I would certainly seek advice from a reputable Plastic Surgeon in your community, however, and I would expect that good advice would be given to you

You certainly have new breast implants placed either at the same time or later if you choose .  There are several  brands in the U.S. that have been highly studied by the FDA and approved for augmentation- namely Allergan and Mentor.  You can always inquire about these for the future if you so desire

Please consider the removal of both implants and the surrounding capsules, however.

Good luck.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

PIP breast implants should be removed right away.

+2

Hi.

1)  These implants were made with industrial (not medical grade) contaminated silicone.  They have a high incidence of rupture, cause inflammation, and possibly can cause tumors.

2)  It sounds like you should have these implants removed with capsulectomies  Capsulectomies are safe in women with little tissue.  Like everything else, it has to be done right.  Then you can have the implants  replaced with Allergan or Mentor implants, which are perfectly safe.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

PIP implant removal

+2

You can certainly have the implants removed along with the capsule surrounding the implant, without having them replaced. If you don't like the final result you can have other implants inserted some other time. The authorities in France are recommending that they are removed. You should see a surgeon who is experienced in capsulectomy rather than just capsulotomy if you want to have the capsule removed at the same time. You can also choose to have an en-bloc capsule removal should you wish to discuss this with your surgeon.

Taimur Shoaib, MD
Glasgow Plastic Surgeon

Capsulectomy recommendations with implant removal

+1

In general I would follow these recommendations - If there is no evidence of rupture of your silicone gel implants and your breasts are soft  then I do not recommend capsulectomy to my patients. However if there is a rupture or what is called "silicone bleed" where there is visible sticky silicone on the outer capsule, especially with PIP implants then I recommend capsulectomy to rid your body of traces of free silicone.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Breast Implants - PIP Implant Removal - Capsulectomy?

+1

It appears that these implants were made, most recently (though not necessarily always) with non-medical grade silicone and, as such, you should undergo removal of the implants and capsulectomies.

You are right to be concerned about the capsulectomies, and particularly so in thin patients.  It is extremely important that you have this addressed by a surgeon who is experienced in this procedure (although that is always true!).  In this case, you may need the addtional of Acellular Dermal Matrix (ADM) in order to support and protect your skin.

You should research these options online and then go visit a few surgeons in your area.  Based on what they say you decide how to proceed and with whom.

Needless to say, I am very sorry for this issue, but I hope that this has helped,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Breast Implant Removal and Capsulectomy?

+1

It will probably be in your best interest to have the breast implants removed along with capsulectomy.  Care must be taken during this procedure to avoid removal of any native breasts and/or subcutaneous tissue. 

PIP implants

+1

These implants appear to have been made with non-medical grade silicone and need to be removed including the capsules.