Pink Skin Under Peeling from 18% Salicylic Acid Chemical Peel

I had an 18% sal acid chemical peel at my derm's office 2 days ago. Some areas have turned brown and are peeling quite substantially. The new skin left behind is quite pink; however, I thought Salicylic acid peels were superficial, but it seems to have removed a fair bit of skin, particularly on my chin. Is this normal? And how long is the pinkness likely to stay for?

Sal Acid Peels can vary

+1
While it isn't common to have significant peeling from sal acid peels, as you've found, it isn't impossible! Everyone is different and that's why it's so important to work up slowly with these kinds of treatments. If you have sensitive skin or use products that remove superficial skin layers (like retin-a), this can further increase the possibility of a deeper-than-expected peel. It's difficult to know how long the pinkness will stay, but definitely stay out of the sun to avoid the area turning brown.

Arlington Dermatologic Surgeon