Does Pineapple Really Help Reduce Swelling After Ear Dorsum Cartilage Rhinoplasty for Nose Tip?

Hi, i am about 3 weeks post operation, and i can see the improvement of my nosetip from a profile view... however, from the front view, my nose still looks wide and swollen and it is worse when the temperature soars high( i am in Australia at this moment...) i have heard that pineapple can help reduce swelling, yet it is hard to get fresh pineapple here, i wonder if the canned pineapple chunks or pineapple juice work the same... thanks for any help

Bromelain

+2

Pineapple extract or Bromelain is sometimes used for swelling.  The studies do not strongly support this use and I do not usually prescribe this for my patients.

Bromolein (pineapple extract) will not make difference three weeks after rhinoplasty

+2

Hi.

Bromolein can help reduce bruising and swelling in the first couple of weeks after rhinoplasty.  You will not have more swelling because you did not use it.  Swelling may just take longer to go away.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Canned Pineapple vs. fresh pineapple

+2

There is probably no difference in eating canned vs fresh to get the bromelain, which may help with bruising.  At three weeks, your body's intrinsic healing characteristics have a much greater impact on the swelling than pineapple.  Good luck.