How Can I Get Rid of This Huge Pimple?

I am 50 years old and I have a pimple that won't go away. It's large and unsightly so I cover it with a bandage---How do I get rid of it? I had 2 pimples on my face and my doctor said it was probably from all the chocolate I ate over the holidays.

One of the pimples was small and the other large. The small one has gone away. I treated both with Clean and Clear, an over-the-counter medicine. The large one won't go away and it seems like it's gotten larger. It's been 2 weeks--How can I get rid of it?

Advice for Bump that Doesn't Go Away

+1

My recommendation is to visit your dermatologist for evaluation of this bump. There are many types of lesions that come up on the skin that can resemble acne.  The only way to determine with certainty what type of lesion this is, is to perform a biopsy (a procedure to remove this bump) and send it to the dermatopathologist to evaluate.  Pimples that resolve with OTC treatments after 1-2 weeks do not need evaluation, but if a bump doesn't improve after 2 weeks, it is imperative to have it evaluated by your dermatologist for the appropriate treatment.

You should see your doctor

+1

A "pimple that does not go away" needs to be examined by a doctor. A "normal" pimple should last at most 2-3 weeks. If a pimple does not go away in this time, it may not be a pimple. Sometimes a skin cancer can look like a pimple that does not go away - and a biopsy would be needed to determine what the growth is.

Jeffrey Ellis, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon