Hyperpigmentation or Scarring After Chemical Peel

I am unable to get a dermatologist appointment until May. I recently had a VI Peel done and have some splotches on my skin. This is the 2nd day after the peel.

I am wondering if these reddish brown splotches are PIH or just temporary scarring? I have Chinese/Asian skin that rarely burns. Please see my photo for the areas affected (above upper lip, sides of cheekbones).

Pigmentation after chemical peel

+2

Peels in ethnic skin can be tricky. It is likely that with time, the hyperpigmentation (dark spots) will fully resolve. It looks as though you may also have a light patch on your left cheek as well, unless that is simply an effect of the lighting. Decreased pigment as a result of chemical peeling can be more problematic. There are prescription creams including hydroquinone and tretinoin that can be used (wait at least 2 weeks after your peel) to lighten the brown spots and even out the pigmentation.

Good luck.

San Diego Dermatologist

They should fade

+1

I would notify the person who did the peel. My experience however with Vipeel is that it should be temporary. During your recovery however, you may need to use some topicals to ensure a good result. The person who did the peel should be responsive to your needs.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD