Pigmentation

What's the best treatment for facial pigmentation and brown age spots

Your skin type will determine the treatments available

+1
Without seeing your photographs or evaluating you in person it is difficult to determine the best treatment. Your skin type is an important factor in determining the type of treatment available to treat pigmentation and age spots. For patients with a darker complexion, a prescription strength skin lightening serum/cream along with a series of light chemical peels and sunscreen is beneficial. For patients that may want faster results and are a lighter complexion, Intense Pulsed Light or CO2 laser resurfacing may be a better option. With all of this to consider, I highly recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified physician.

Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

IPL All the Way

+1
We always recommend IPL treatments for patients concerned with uneven pigmentation on their faces. It is the most effective and long-lasting treatment available. However, be sure to always use sunscreen as well - both because it prevents your age spots from worsening, and in order to prevent undoing everything the IPL treatment does.

Anna I. Wooten, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Best Treatment for Pigmentation and Brown Spots

+1
I have found the best treatment to address facial pigmentation and brown age spots to be IPL/Photofacial treatments. These light based treatments specifically target pigmented and vascular lesions. When done in a series of 3-6 (based on degree of pigmentation) spaced 3-4 weeks apart, patients can anticipate a decrease in the appearance of skin pigment and vessels for a more even skin tone. In an effort to maintain these results, it is essential to incorporate a home skin care plan and be diligent with your use of sunblock. 

Larry C. Leverett, MD, FACS
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

+1
My go-to devise for uneven pigmentation and age spots is the Intense Pulsed Light (IPL). The IPL uses high-intensity pulses of light are targeted into the skin to reduce dark pigment and rejuvenate the skin’s appearance. Other safe and effective treatments for brown spots are Q-switched Alexandrite, Ruby and Nd:YAG lasers. The newest laser, Picosure, developed for tattoos is also useful for facial pigmentation. It is best to consult with your doctor to determine which treatment option is right for you.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon