Piercing again after keloid treatment?

I had developed a keloid after ear piercing. After treatment, it went completely but I had to remove the studs. I'm thinking of piercing again at the same place. Would it be safe? Its more than 1 year now from the last piercing and treatment.

Keloid scar expert in Los Angeles

+1
Piercing is possible, but only in the most controlled cases with close supervision.   I would not advise routine piercing over a keloid scar. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS
Los Angeles

Piercing again after keloid treatment?

+1

You can certainly have your ears pierced again. But the risk is that your keloid could recur from the trauma of re-piercing. If you notice any of those changes occuring again, you will want to connect with the dermatologist or plastic surgeon that treated your keloid in the first place.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon