Can I Pierce Torn Earlobe Without Repairing It? Maybe Above the Torn Part?

Can I Pierce Torn Earlobe Without Repairing It?  Maybe Above the Torn Part?

Piercing a Torn Earlobe

+1

Thank you for your question. A torn earlobe may be pierced at a different location. However, problems may arise including a greater likelihood of another tear. For the best cosmetic result, a torn earlobe is first repaired to reestablish a normal earlobe shape. Piercing is then performed several weeks later, preferably adjacent to and not within the scar line. Good luck.

Piercing a torn earlobe without repair

+1

you can pierce the ear at a distant site. Piercing the lobe above the area where it is torn will just result in a longer tear with time.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Piercing an earlobe

+1

Thank for the question. The answer is yes. you can pierce it above the torn part. This could be a problem in the future; you may not like the way it looks and be self conscious about it, or the second piercing may teat and you end up with one big tear or two small tears. Enough said.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Repiercing torn earlobes

+1

You don't have to have the torn earlobe repaired, but I find that most people prefer to have a torn earlobe repaired because they don't like the appearance of a torn earlobe. Also, if you have both ears pierced and you are trying to have symmetrical appearance it is not possible to do this without repairing the ear (unless you move both piercings). A repair can be performed under local anaesthetic and your ear can be repierced 3-4 weeks later.

If you wish to repierce a torn earlobe without repairing it then it is best to pick an area that is spaced a reasonable distance away from the skin edge. This will reduce the likelihood of it tearing through again.

Good luck!

Jill Tomlinson, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Ear Lobe Piercing Repair?

+1

Yes re piercing can be done above the torn area if you do not mind the  appearance of the torn earlobe.  Generally I would advise repair of the torn ear lobe  for the best aesthetic result.

Earlobe

+1

Of course you can get your ear repierced without repairing the torn earlobe, but it will look pretty wired.If you don't mind the appearance, there is no medical reason that the tear MUST be repaired. the decision is entirely yours.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

You can re-pierce a torn earlobe but you're better off having it repaired first

+1

You can re-pierce a torn earlobe but you're better off having it repaired first. We typically repair earlobes with local anesthesia in the office. 3-4 weeks after repair your lobes can be re-pierced in the office at no charge. Unless, for some reason, you prefer the appearance of the torn earlobe but I have yet to encounter someone who does. If this is the case, you could have the ear pierced in another location but the existing tear might increase the likelihood that this new piercing would also tear, complicating matters down the road.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon