Can I Pierce my Belly Button with a Hernia?

I have received a tummy tuck and my stomach looks great. In six months will it be okay ti pierce my navel even though I have an umbilical hernia?

Repair your hernia before your piercing

+1

I would recommend getting the hernia repaired (herniorrhaphy) prior to umbilical piercing. it would othervise be possible to damage the hernai dack,

Get your umbilical hernia fixed before you pierce your navel!

+1

It is not a good idea to pierce your belly button if you have an umbilical hernia.   You don't say.... 

• How long ago was the tummy tuck?
  • Was the hernia there before the surgery?
  • Has a doctor diagnosed the hernia?

Aside from the hernia concern, if there is a scar around your navel a piercing is less likely to be successful because the scar tissue is not as strong as unscarred tissue.  I have seen the metal erode outward through the skin and have to be removed.  A body piercer told me he doesn't recommend navel piercing after an abdominoplasty for this reason, but I have seen it work, too.

Lori H. Saltz, MD