Picking Nose After Minor Surgery?

i had a very minor procedure a week ago. i only need a piece of tape placed over the nose after my surgeon removed excess cartilage from my bridge. 3 days post op, i gently removed a crust that had been obstructing my breathing. i didn't know until after that i had also removed a dissolvable stitch.now, a week later, the area where i assume the stitch was is swollen (internally, i can't see it externally). this is also where she entered my nose during surgery. is this normal swelling?

Pulled Out Stitch After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hello. The removal of the absorbable stitch is most likely okay, but you need to be evaluated by your doctor to ensure that you do not have any damage or infection to the area.

Jaime Perez, MD
Rhinoplasty Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Picking Nose After Nasal Surgery

+1

Dear Rachel,

Swelling is normal after surgeries, even the minor ones.

However, it is not possible to determine if you have "removed" as dissolvable suture while you were removing the nasal crust that was obstructing your breathing.

Therefore, I recommend that you consult with your surgeon for an in-person evaluation of your current status since he/she knows the full details of your procedure.

Usually, patients are instructed to use nasal saline spray to keep the nasal mucosa fairly moist and prevent the formation of "stubborn" nasal crusts that impede breathing.

Thank you for your inquiry.

The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Post Rhinoplasty Cleaning of Nose

+1

The best thing to do is go in and see your surgeon for a post operative visit. Your surgeon will be the one that may determine what is normal or abnormal swelling. I do tell my patients to leave the post operative cleaning of their nose to myself or my staff. I would assume you have caused no real problems for your healing and post operative swelling is very normal at this stage. I hope this is helpful and remember seeing your surgeon for frequent postoperative visits is very helpful in keeping peace of mind and being informed about your recovery! Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD