Picking a Breast Implants Size

How is it that some doctor would say, "pick a size" and I will put it in without a problem? And yet, another would say that the size I picked won't fit into my body, whether because the implants are too big, or it's Silicone and that Saline is better because it can be filled when in place. How can one doctor say so and do it while the other cannot?

The role of the plastic surgeon in implant sizing

+3

An excellent plastic surgeon should hear your desires, evaluate your body, make measurements of your chest wall dimensions, take into account your breast volume, shape and position, and come up with advice for what implant sizes would be appropriate for you. How can you know how do do this? You need an experienced doctor and follow his or her advice.

There are common sense rules to follow

+2

Only after examining you and evaluating your existing breast tissue and chest frame can a real opinion be given as to what your options are from augmentation. There is not a patient who I would ever say "pick any size". Although it is not uncommon in my practice to use larger implants, there should be some educated judgement as to what your body and tissues can handle.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

A Very Common Observation

+2

The other doctors have commented nicely regarding how to chose size etc. The problem is that you have conflicting opinions and therefor you are confused. I will try to answer that.

Most of us, as board certified plastic surgeons, have a base of education and training that we all generally agree with. After that there is a very wide range of options and opinions as to how to do certain things.

The example I like to give is making an apple pie. Go ask 10 people how to make an apple pie and you will receive at least 10 different answers. All will have apples, flour, water and baking. After that the ingredients and the making of the pie will differ. You may end up likeing one type of pie and not another.

Your decision as to size should be based on your desired look and input from your plastic surgeon as to the consequences of the size you pick. The opinion of your friends is very important because it does tell you that people you know have been happy with that particular surgeon. When in doubt get a third opinion.

Best of Luck

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

The look makes the implant right for you

+2

The question concerning how to select an implant size comes up very frequently and you may do well to review other responses which have appeared on this website. There are two ways to approach implant size, either you can choose the look you want, or the surgeon can do it for you if you are uncertain. However how an individual patient without a prior augmentation can select an implant size that is right for them is beyond my comprehension. Selecting the actual implant takes skill and experience gained from performing many successful augmentation procedures. Certainly a surgeon can put in what you choose, but he should step up and put in the implant that is right for what you would like to look like.

Your surgeon should be a good doctor,and an artist and combine these skills to produce consistent and excellent results. Start by putting together a portfolio of pictures that best match your expectations, carefully weigh the pros and cons of saline vs silicone, and find a surgeon who will take the time to know your breast and body, and know what your goal is from augmentation.

peterejohnsonmd

Common misunderstanding

+2

There is a dichotomy on the way to size for breast implants. Please review other answers I have given to this same question. In general, the best way to size is to measure your natural breast and to pick the flattest (least projection or lowest profile) implant that will fit your width. Your surgeon can let you know what sort of augmentation you can expect as this will coorespond to a certain volume for different implant companies and their styles. This will give you the most natural look. If the amount of augmentation, cleavage, or fullness is not adequate, you can then vary the width, the projection, or the style to get closer to what you desire. The more you stray from the best fit, the more unnatural and "done" you will look. What you end up will be hopefully something that pleases you and fulfills most of your goals, but remember that breast augmentation is not a perfect operation and you will undoubtedly need to compromise on some aspect. There can be a conflict between what a surgeon envisions for you and what you feel you want for yourself. You might need to spend multiple sessions with your surgeons to find the right combination of variables. Choosing an implant takes time and effort.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Picking a Breast Implants Size

+1

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work. Given your concerns, I would suggest that you spend additional time with your plastic surgeon;  ask the same question of him/her regarding the use of ultra-high-profile implants  and the greater projection that results from the use of these breast implants.

2.  Again, have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining which operation and/or breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup" or "fake" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.  The use of computer imaging may be very helpful during this communication phase.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.