Picking up a child after breast augmentation

I have a son he's almost 2 and weighs about 30lbs i wanted to know how long after surgery it will be that I can pick him up again?

Lifting

+2
If you go under the muscle I would ask you to wait 3 weeks before aggresively engaging the muscle to prevent spasm and possible bleeding

+2
Thank you for your question.  I typically recommend my patients not lift more than 10 pounds and have no strenuous or repetitive upper arm activity in the first two weeks.  Heavy lifting, repetitive and strenuous upper arm activity can increase your risk for capsular contracture or implant displacement.  Your son is two years old, so here are some things I would recommend for example:  You may help him crawl up on your lap or assist him in crawling up to a car seat, etc. verses lifting him up. If you do feel that you need to lift him make sure you bend down and use your legs to lift vs your arms.  I always recommend that you have someone that can assist you if needed for the first two weeks.  After 2 weeks strenuous activity may be started, increase back up to previous levels slowly.  As always I would recommend that you follow your Board Certified Plastic Surgeons advice.  Best of Luck to you!

Heather Rocheford, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation recovery

+2
Thanks for your question. The truth is that each patient is different in her recovery. My average patient takes about a week to return to work but I ask that she not embark upon heavy lifting, pulling, pushing or things that bring up the blood pressure for about three weeks. Some patients will need less recovery time and occasionally some will need more. As a general rule of thumb I find more muscular patients tend to be more sore after surgery and patients going with larger implants tend to be more sore as well. If you can plan for a week off that is certainly reasonable, but it's only nice to have more if it's easily available to you. I tell my patients that it's better to have an extra week and not need it than the other way around. Good luck to you.

Antoine A. Hallak, MD, FACS

Lifting children after surgery

+2
Every doctor has his/her own protocol regarding lifting after surgery.  My personal feeling is that you can't ignore your children (much as you might like to at times).  You have to put them in car seats and high chairs.  Those are just things you have to do.  I just tell my patients that I don't want them bench pressing the kid.  Use common sense.  If you are doing something and it hurts, don't do it!  Either that or get some help.  In my practice, after three weeks, you can do pretty much anything you want to do.  You just want to take it easy during the first three weeks.  Since I am not doing your surgery (apparently) then I would suggest that this is a question you need to present to your operating plastic surgeon as his/her protocol is probably different from mine.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Picking up your child after breast augmentation

+2
This will vary, and it is best to ask your plastic surgeon. I typically recommend that my patients wait at least 2-3 weeks after breast augmentation before they start exercising or picking up their children. 

Matthew Schulman, MD

Lifting a child following Breast Augmentation

+2
I recommend that patients avoid lifting anything that weighs more than 10 pounds for two weeks following breast augmentation. You should arrange to have some extra help with child care during your first two weeks post operatively.

Christopher J. Morea, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

When to lift your child after breast augmentation

+2
There is not an absolute answer for your question. For most of us, we base things off of an educated guess and personal experience.  If an implant is under the muscle there is the possibility that the muscle will push the implant out to the side and create a bigger space than would look natural. For that reason, I ask people to be very cautious doing things that require strength in the first month.  However, children, for all of their wonderment, don't really understand that mommy can't pick them up for a few weeks. Most people find a way around this by changing the way they pick up their child/ren.  Generally speaking, I ask patients to avoid doing things that hurt for the first few weeks. 
Dr. Pyle

Jeremy Pyle, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Lifting your child after breast augmentation

+2
After sub-muscular breast augmentation expect to need help with lifting your child for the first week to 10 days.  After sub-glandular breast augmentation you may be able to lift your child after 4 or 5 days. However heavy lifting should be avoided for the first 2 weeks and weight lifting in the gym most likely for 3-4 weeks.

Most importantly you must follow the specific advice of your plastic surgeon.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

+2
This is the time to call in help from the grandparents.  It is best not to do any heavy lifting for at least 2 weeks after surgery.  The goal is to not start up any bleeding around the implant, which is caused from doing to much activity.  

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

To Lift or Not to Lift your child after surgery

+2
In my practice, I tell patients not to lift more than a half gallon of milk for the first couple of weeks. 

I have many patients that are mothers of young children and they seem to work it out just fine.  You just have to be creative when it comes to caring for your child. 

The first few days you will probably want someone to care for your child.  After that, most women find that their children are more than willing to get into the car seat by themselves or enjoy taking a shower instead of a bath.  You will be able to lift your child by bending down and using your legs but not your arms.

I hopes this helps and good luck.

Joseph W. Aguiar, MD