Picked Up my Dog and Nose is Stuffed Again After Septoplasty, Did It Not Do Its Job?

A week after surgery my nose was feeling pretty clear, I already felt like I was breathing better. I saw the doctor and he sucked out my nose and I felt great. Then I picked up my dog and the next morning my nose was completely stuffed again. My doctor knew I was allergic to dogs, but 20 days post op and it seems like the surgery didn't help. Am I being too impatient?

+1

It is very difficult to be patient when someone has had nasal surgery to help correct breathing difficulties.  Time for results certainly varies from patient to patient, and I must say that the majority of my patients are breathing well through the  nose after two weeks; however for some of them it does take longer, and I see them intermittently to clear their nose.  If you have allergies, of course this compounds the problems, and you really need to discuss this with your surgeon. 

Jonathan Ross Berman, M.D. , F.A.C.S.

Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Septoplasty, rhinoplasty

+1

Septoplasty surgery does not help with allergies.  It does help deliver allergy medications to the nose more effectively however.  So, if you are allergic to dogs and dander etc., you should avoid dogs and also use allergy medications despite the fact that you had septoplasty surgery.

A septoplasty corrects anatomical abnormalities (deviation) that can obstruct airflow through the nose.  If the air that you breath has allergens you will just inhale them better and still be allergic to them.

I would consider doing allergy, immune therapy to decrease your allergy problems and still continue to use antiallergy sprays and medications.

Hope that helps.

Shashidhar Kusuma, MD
Plantation Plastic Surgeon