How Do I Talk To My Surgeon About Being Unhappy With TT Results?

I have a recent post regarding dissappointed with mini tummy tuck results. Lower abd is bulging and rounded. Very disappointed. I have expressed my concerns and am going to see physician next week. I need to know what to say. When he told me initially that I would be good for a mini, I was very concerned and went back twice to make sure he was sure without insulting his professional opinion. I do not want to upset anyone but need to know how to get what I was hoping for?

Communicating with Your Plastic Surgeon when Not Happy?

+2

Calm and nonaccusatory communication will always be appreciated by your plastic surgeon;  most plastic surgeons are very interested in achieving results that patients are very pleased with  and want to hear from patients  about ways they can improve their situation.

Of course, complications and/or less than optimal results can occur despite best efforts. In these cases, patients should communicate their concerns clearly, calmly, and with an understanding that despite  surgeons'  best efforts the desired results have not been achieved.

This type of communication ( maintaining mutual respect)  will  probably allow for eventual  improvement of the patient's situation.

How to tell Surgeon i am ubndappy with Tummy tuck results?

+2

Honesty is always the best policy. Be frank with your doctor, if it is still early I am sure he will tell you to be patient as things change over the post op period, I would wait at least 6 month before passing judgment on your results, but if unhappy after feel free to tell your surgeon.

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Talking With Your Surgeon

+2

You have asked a very good question.  First, if your surgery was recent you may not be seeing the final result.  I think this is particularly true if liposuction was performed in combination with the tummy tuck.  Some of my patients tell me it took several months to see the result of their procedure.  If it has been a while since your procedure and you are disappointed with your result then you should feel free to discuss this with your doctor.  I'm sure he/she tried to obtain an excellent result and may share your disappointment.  This does not imply anything was done incorrectly.  Speak openly and work together in a spirit of cooperation so that your questions are answered and your concerns are addressed.  Good luck.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

How to address your concerns with your surgeon.

+2

You appear to be a very compassionate person with your question by not wanting to offend anyone. This is very admirable. However, if your result is not what you expected the best approach is to address this directly with your surgeon with the same compassion and concern expressed in your question. There are times when the surgical result is not what I expected and I am open to discuss this with the patient. Depending on how recently your procedure was, there could still be considerable swelling and the end result may not be evident for some time. Good luck.

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

How do I talk to my surgeon about being unhappy with results?

+1
Thank you for your question. Revisions and further surgery for aesthetic procedures varies amongst surgeons and your preoperative discussion about expectations, results, and complications. Depending on your results and expectations, it would need to be a discussion that you have in terms of deformities and results.

You should discuss your concerns with your surgeon and hopefully come to a conclusion. I would not be surprised if facility and anesthesia costs are your responsibility along with a possible surgical fee to correct, however, the last one may be waived pending your previous discussions and examination. Hope that this helps and best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

+1

My suggestion to you is to be very open and honest in your discussion with your surgeon, telling him exactly what your expectations were preoperatively and are now.

Jonathan Ross Berman, M.D. , F.A.C.S.

Jonathan Berman, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Telling your Surgeon you are unhappy with results

+1

I think that most plastic surgeons want to know if their patients are happy and satisfied with their results.If you have concerns regarding your final result, I would suggest first writing a personal note that is respectful and summarizes why you feel the way you do. Taking time to put your feelings into writing sometimes helps to consolidate your thoughts and feelings. Your plastic surgeon will then have time to reflect on your preoperative consultation and exam and the procedure performed prior to your visit to speak with him/her. Being candid, having realistic expectations, and discussing your concerns should be welcomed by your surgeon and hopefully their can be some resolution and better understanding regarding your results by patient and surgeon alike.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Discussing unhappy results with surgeon

+1

Most surgeons want the very best results for their patients. It is difficult to get the perfect result every time simply because of the variety of different issues each patient brings to the table. In my practice, revisions are infrequent so I am happy to help make things as good as possible, provided the patient has realistic goals. When you discuss this with your surgeon, be clear of what you are unhappy with, be complimentary of what has been improved, be calm and respectful, and understand that you will most likely need to pay for facility fees though the the surgeon will most likely waive his/her fees. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD