Why Do Physicians Continously Lie About Zerona when It Underwent the Only Level 1 Study?

I just read Dr. Persky's comment that Zerona does not penetrate. Yet, I watched a young gentleman from the company completely dismantle his argument in front of 300 or so colleagues as the young man used peer-reviewed citations and Dr. Persky could only state "I talked to laser experts." Why is there a disconnect when everyone seems to agree laser is effective to treat the hair follicle and sebaceous gland but can't penetrate another 0.5 mm or so to treat superficial subcutaneous fat.

Which Physicians Are "Lying" About Zerona, Those Who Are Subjecting Their Patients to It, or Those Who State Scientific Facts?

+1

Hi Jillih,

To begin with, stating facts that do not agree with your biased view does not constitute "lying". 

This reply is in response to your misrepresentation of what actually happened at the 2010 Multi-Specialty Cosmetic Surgery meeting in Las Vegas after Dr. Paul Nassif gave the Zerona company's (Ruths Chris Steakhouse) presentation of Zerona.   "Dr. Persky's dismantling" by the "young gentleman" who works for the company (who also authored the white paper article about Zerona which was never published in any peer reviewed scientific journal) may have occurred in your mind, but certainly not in the educated minds of physician experts in attendance.

During the discussion, I stated that the 635 nm laser is unable to penetrate through the skin to cause the effects that were shown, adding that the slides misrepresented the fact that the before and after photos of fat cells were taken after direct application of the laser to fat without the laser having to pass through skin.  I also corrected the "gentleman from the company" that when he said that there were three peer reviewed studies supporting his case, when in fact once I asked the audio-visual crew to put the slide back up so that all in the conference could see the slide that he referenced and I directed the audience to the footnotes of his "three studies" slide, there was in fact only one study on the 635 nm laser (his, the questionable and unpublished white paper, not peer reviewed study), while the other two studies cited were performed with different wavelength lasers, 832 nm and 808 nm lasers. 

There is no "disconnect" that lasers can treat hair follicles as other wave length lasers can. The 635 nm is not used for that as it doesn't work for removing unwanted hair.  It doesn't work at fat reduction through the skin without the concurrent use of a dietary supplement either, but it does work as a laser pointer in lecture halls, and at reading bar codes at your grocery store, as well as giving naive patients the unrealistic hope that they will lose inches from their body. 

I am sorry that your misperception of what occurred at the end of Dr. Nassif's presentation is so totally wrong.  I will continue stand by the world's laser experts knowledge about the 635nm laser over your "gentleman from the company's" obviously biased opinion. 

I recently spoke with one of the original luminaries for Zerona (a physician who was given a Zerona device to use and lecture about when it first came out) who shared that "Zerona does not work, and I can't get the company to even take the device out of my office".  Along those same lines, a recent editorial article in Plastic Surgery Practice included:

"....... The FDA has been working on ways to monitor the claims of device manufacturers, but that comes only after the aesthetic industry allowed itself to go hog wild in disseminating poor or unsubstantiated claims about untried products.  A recent example of this phenomenon is the marketing effort behind the Zerona laser, which has created many skeptics among physicians who then labeled the product a sham. Yet, the Zerona was prominently on display at this year's ASAPS scientific meeting. Nonetheless, not all is lost in the battle against false claims and marketing lies. One clever surgeon prominently displayed a photo during one of his panel discussion at ASAPS, showing the Zerona machine as one of the units currently collecting dust in his practice's basement.  Ultimately, we cannot back away from the need for physicians to do all they can to inform and protect their patients from unscrupulous colleagues and dealers. The corporate propaganda "machine" in the US has always subscribed to PT Barnum's remark about a sucker being born every minute, and despite all measured good intentions will never veer away from placing profit above patient safety."

I personally have no financial ties to any medical company; my only motivation is truthfulness to my patients, colleagues, and the public.  Given your vindictive and unwarranted attack upon my comments of over a year ago, I question your motivation.  For more facts about Zerona, see the reference cited below.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. Persky 

Web reference: http://www.drpersky.com/zerona-laser-dr-perskys-thoughts/

Zerona has no proven efficiacy

+1

According to everything I have read and heard, Zerona does not work.  Physicians promote it either because they are getting paid by the company to speak on its behalf, or they purchased the machine themselves and want to pay it off.  Zeltiq is the only proven fat-reducing device next to liposuction.  Both treatments remove fat cells while the most Zerona, Tri-Active and Velasmooth can do is temporarily squeeze the fat out of the cells.  If you don't remove the cells themselves, fat will return.

Web reference: http://www.ocdermatology.com/zeltiq.shtml

Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

We have been against this therapy from the beginning. Here on RealSelf.com ONLY 39% of the responders are satisfied with this technology.