Physical Exam/Blood Test Before an Eyelid Surgery Normal?

Age 51, no medications, no medical condition or health problems other than a current case of mild bronchitis. I'm having upper and lower eyelid surgery on April 3rd under general anesthesia. I'm told I need a physical with bloodwork and an EKG. I had a EKG 2 years ago but I'm told I need a more recent one. Does anyone know what they are testing for in the bloodwork that I need to request during my exam?

State Law and safety

+1
This is a matter of good medical practice and public health law.  The Department of Public Health has rules and regulations with regard to anesthesia and patient safety designed to protect you. You really should discuss this with your physician.  He or she will have specific tests as part of a pre-op work up that adhere to these safety standards.   Generally your physical exam cannot be more than 30 days old in Massachusetts.  A two year old EKG in a 51 year old is probably also too old to use for anesthesia, but you should talk to you physician's office about all of this.  

Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Labs/EKG prior to surgery

+1
Thank you for your question. Routine blood work and an EKG is quite normal for pre operative patients over the age of 50. Especially when general anesthesia is being used. Physicians want to make sure that there is not some existing condition that is unknown that could cause any complications during or after surgery.

Kristin J. Tarbet, MD
Bellevue Oculoplastic Surgeon

Preop testing prior to eyelid surgery

+1
Each office is different In the amount of tests that are performed prior elective cosmetic surgery. For patient's safety, it is important not to undergo elective cosmetic surgery if there is any pre-existing medical conditions that might interfere with anesthesia and the surgical procedure itself.

Blood tests prior to surgery

+1
Routine blood work is not uncommon before surgery. This is to give an overall picture of key labs that can indicate problems if they are abnormal.

Pre-op blood tests

+1
Most states have specific tests that are required for either general or local sedation anesthesia.  This includes:  blood count, blood chemistries.  If you are over 50 in florida you also need an EKG that is less than one year old.  Most surgeons will order these for you pre-op to make sure that there are unknown abnormal labs or illnesses that the patient is unaware of.  If you have certain medical conditions, additional labs may be ordered.     

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Routine Pre-Operative Testing is a good idea

+1
Board Certified competent surgeons always strive for the best results their patients. Routine pre-operative testing is done to ensure that you are healthy enough to have surgery and helps assure a good result. Your Surgeon is just making sure that you don't have a current heart problem that could interfere with safe and successful surgery. I would be more concerned if your surgeon were not being so thorough.

David Schlessinger, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon

Testing should be directed by the physician doing your pre-surgical physical.

+1
Testing is really directed by you needs and your medical status.  Generally we like to see an EKG so we have a base line, and for blood work a comprehensive metabolic panel and a complete blood count.  Bleeding tests are not routinely performed because they are not that predictive.  If there is important individuals heath issues, this will direct the nature of your testing.  What is needed for surgery is one factor, and what is appropriate for general health reasons is another factor in determining the nature of the work up.