Should I Get a Physical Before Looking for a Surgeon?

i am 23yrs old, 5'5" and 120lbs and have been thinking about having breast implants. i was just wondering if it would be advised to get a physical before since i have not been checked out by a doctor in a while.. i'm pretty nervous about having surgery and want to take any steps necessary

Physical exam before a plastic surgery consultation

+3

This is actually an excellent question.

It is better to have a complete physical before going for a consultation if the patient is eager to have surgery.  That way any medical issues can be addressed before the surgery consultation and surgery can be scheduled without delays.

It also gives the doctor a good idea of how much surgery a patient can safely undergo (especially if a stress test, cardiogram and physical have already been done.

Of course all patients eventually have a history and physical.

Medical Check Up Before Surgical Consultation

+2

There is not really any downside to seeing a physician, (internist or family practitioner), before seeing a plastic surgeon.  This is especially true if you want to move quickly to surgery.  Most of these doctors know what the surgeon will be looking for to see if you are an appropriate candidate medically. At your age, the medical work up should be straightforward. Any irregularities can then be addressed.  The plastic surgeon will still ask pertinent questions and do am appropriate exam.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Pre op medical clearance

+2

There are specific indications for medical clearance based on age and medical conditions of the individual having the surgery. Your plastic surgeon will evaluate you and will determine the necessity for clearance.

At 23 years of age and no significant medical conditions your risks are extremely low. If an evaluation by a medical doctor would help you to be more comfortable with the process I would encourage you to pursue it.

I hope this was helpful and I wish you well.

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Preoperative medical clearance - physical examination

+2

All patients have to have a physical examination and medical history before any surgery and this is now a state law in California as a prerequisite for cosmetic surgeyr in anyone. Every surgeon should examine their patients before surgery it's just good practice. If you are referring to a full general physical examination with chest xrays, EKGs etc. that depends. If you have never been examined by a general internist since early childhood it cannot hurt to be re-examined even if you are not undergoing surgery. A chest x-ray in a 23 year old with no symptoms, a normal physical examination and nothing of concern on a review of systems/medical history though is probably not necessary.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Should I get a physical before looking for a surgeon?

+2

Having a physical prior to seeking a surgeon is a good idea, especially if you have a family history of health issues or have a specific health concern. However, don't be surprised if you are required to repeat your blood work and physical prior to surgery again. In our practice, our regulations require that blood tests be performed no more than 14 days prior to surgery. Also keep in mind that your insurance may not cover these tests since they are for an elective surgical procedure.

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Physical Exam Before Aesthetic Surgery

+2

It is important to be in a healthy state before undergoing any surgery.  However, at your age (23), your plastic surgeon should be capable of performing a satisfactory pre-op physical, assuming that you have no hisrtory of problems.  On the other hand, there is certainly no downside to having a full physical performed by an internist, especially if that will make you more comfortable with surgery.

John Whitt, MD

Evaluation before cosmetic surgery

+1

Excellent question.  I think its a great idea for you to get an annual checkup with your primary care physician.   You can also visit with a board certified PS to learn more about your options.  Your plastic surgeon will review your past medical and surgical history to determine if any additional workup is needed before your elective procedure too.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Getting a physical before elective surgery

+1

You are young and the chance of having any medical issues delaying or canceling your surgery is low.  However, if you have never had a physical, it certainly is recommended whether you are having surgery or not.

My concern is your nervousness.  Is this a "healthy" nervousness which is normal or are you nervous because you are being pushed into doing this surgery?  Please make sure you are having elective surgery for the right reason and for you and you ONLY.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Should you have a physical prior to breast augmentation?

+1

At your young age, with no significant medical history, and assuming there's nothing concerning found during your visit to your plastic surgeon, it may not be necessary for you to have a complete physical prior to this quick outpatient surgery.  However, if you've never had one and want to have full peace of mind, it's absolutely a good idea.

Carmen Kavali, MD

Pre-operative medical clearance

+1

There is absolutely no problem with patients getting a complete medical evaluation by their physician before undergoing any elective operation. However, medical clearance is not necessarily indicated for a young healthy person with no personal or familial contributing medical issues. See the pre-operative work-up indications at the link below.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS