Will Photofacials Do Anything for the Fine Lines Around the Eyes?

I have fine lines around the eyes and already use Botox there. I would like to smooth them out and even out my skin tone/pigmentation. Will a series of Photofacials accomplish this or am I wasting money? I really need something with little or no down-time.

IPL for pigmentation, not for fine lines

+1

IPL treatments are good for pigmentation issues like browns spots and redness.  IPL does not necessarily benefit fine lines.  Botox is a good option to consider for the fine lines around the eyes.  Another option is CO2 laser resurfacing.

IPL is best for red and brown discoloration

+1

IPL treatments, or photofacials, are great for freckles, brown spots and redness. I recommend four monthly sessions to treat whatever brown and red discoloration is currently present. However, as time passes more red and brown appears and more treatments become necessary.

IPL does not directly treat fine lines. But as you have multiple IPL treatments over time there is some stimulation of new collagen formation, but this is really a subtle change and is not the primary goal of IPL. If you are looking to treat fine lines, your best bets are going to be some combination of Botox, retinoids, peptides, glycolid acids, and/or laser resurfacing.

Jordana S. Gilman, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

IPL for fine lines around the eyes

+1

I use IPL for Rosacea, Melasma (Carefully), and some cases of sun damage on the face neck and chest. I offer my patients the IPL as a method to partially lighten some freckles.

In theory IPL can and will promote some new collagen formation, but in my experience, the fine lines do not improve .

As to no downtime Lasers, I have tried the Smoothbeam with disappointing results.

A series of 2 or 3 treatments with a fractionated CO2 laser might help, especially if started 7-10 days after the Botox. The marks of this laser treatment can be covered up with makeup Usually no time is lost from work.

Eugene Mandrea, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Photofacial (IPL) not for fine lines

+1

IPL treatments (photofacials) are great at dealing with discoloration and sun damage skin issues. However, it really has no appreciable benefit when it comes to wrinkling issues.

For lines that are created from muscle movements (ie. "smile lines", "crow's feet), Botox is the treatment of choice. For overall tightening of the skin and more deeper wrinkling, fractionated CO2 resurfacing is the treatment of choice.

I hope that helped.

Steven E. Rasmussen, MD, FAAD
Austin Dermatologist

This is not Photofacial's strength

+1

I am a fan of IPL "photofacials" for brown and red discoloration and texture improvement. I have not seen a great change in lines and wrinkles, but over time, collagen is stimulated and may help a little. Other no downtime options include Cooltouch or other long pulse ND Yag lasers. Botox is necessary to get best effect with these modalities. The best option is fractional CO2, but this does have downtime.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist