Can Photofacial Cause Tooth Pain?

I had a Photofacial treatment a day ago and all went well, no redness, swelling, or heat sensations. Today I am experiencing tooth pain as I chew. Both my upper and lower are very sore. I have never had clenching problems. Could this treatment be causing this? I have no image at this time.

Tooth pain most likely not related to Photofacials

+1

We have never had a patient (in over 100,000 laser treatments) describe tooth pain that they thought was related to laser or light based treatments. Nor have we ever read about this in any study or journal. We do not think they would be related.

Tooth pain certainly possible

+1

Dear Oralia,

If you were anxious during your fotofacial and were clenching while having the treatment, it is possible you traumatized your teeth. If this is the case, your tooth pain should resolve relatively quickly. It is unlikely that the light from the treatment caused this discomfort.

However, it is possible for have direct tooth pain caused by the 1064 YAG laser than this part of the fotofacial system. Under these circumstances, it is helpful to have the teeth covered by a gauze to reduce this sensation. Let your treating doctor know about your reaction, and also see your dentist if your tooth discomfort is not settling down or seems to be getting worse.