Is Having Photofacial After Laser Hair Removal Too Much?

I am considering having a series of Photofacial treatments to remove freckles on my face. I have medium skin tone (Hispanic). I just finished 8 laser hair removal treatments and had great results. Is this too much laser for my face. Are there long-term risks to this much laser to my face?

Photo facials are fine if spaced apart from hair removal laser

+1

Hair removal is great and now that you have successfully treated it there is no reason not to have IPL for your freckles. It should be a simple painless procedure like your laser hair removal. Please let me know how it turns out!

Photofacial is fine after completing Laser Hair Removal

+1

Photofacial is a great treatment for removing freckles/sun spots. It won’t be a problem to do the treatments. I wouldn’t recommend doing the treatments at the same time but it sounds as though you have already completed the laser hair removal. Enjoy the results!

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Photofacials may be done after laser hair removal

+1

Photofacials should not cause you further risk just because you had laser hair removal, unless you develop a delayed post inflammatory hyperpigmentation from teh laser hair removal around the same time you have the photofacial which can do the same. Then you won't know which caused it. Consider doing a test area first and wait up to two months to see what your pigment does.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Photofacial following laser hair removal series

+1

There should not be a problem in receiving photofacials following laser hair removal. Because you are of a somewhat darker skin type, great care should be taken that low energies are used with the IPL since there is a risk of burning followed by hyperpigmentation. Pre-treatment with a bleaching agent may help prevent this problem.

Ritu Saini, MD

Photofacial is safe, pulsed light

+1

While I am not saying it is my first choice for hispanic skin, I do feel that Intense Pulsed Light =IPL ("photofacial") is quite safe after a laser hair reduction series. It will even further decrease some of the fine fuzz on the face. Freckles in darker skin may respond to chemical peels, Fraxel Dual, and even bleaching agents. Be sure you review all the options and the potential risks with your dermatologist before proceeding.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist