Non-surgical Treatments for Broken Capillaries?

Is a photofacial ( IPL treatment ) the best way to treat a few, small broken capillaries on my face? Or, is there another laser treatment that is also non-invasive/non-ablative that would be better?

My broken capillaries are on the tops of my cheekbones and bottom edge of a nostril. Thanks!

Non-surgical treatment for broken capillaries

+1

We use the IPL photofacial to clear up general redness, or the flushed-look on the face that is the result of broken capillaries under the skin.  For the superficial broken capillaries that you can actually see the vessel, we use the VBeam laser.  It's not unusual to use the two lasers together for the best outcome.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lasers are ideal for broken capillaries

+1

Facial Telangiectasias or "Broken capillaries," as they are commonly known, are routinely treated by lasers. For individual or small discrete spots especially ones around the nose that you mentioned, the pulsed-dye laser (V Beam, Cynergy) are the standards.These are non-invasive procedures without any significant healing time other than an occasional bruise lasting for 4-7 days. Generally there ae 2-3 treatments required for clearing the veins.

For small and diffuse wide spread ones that create an overall redness over the face, IPL or fotofacial treatments are better. These will require a series of 3-5 treatments to achieve an ideal result. They are safe and have no down time. They also work well for brown spots from the sun so they can provide an overall rejuvenating effect.

Most patients find these treatments to be very satisfying and easily tolerated.

Edgar Franklin Fincher, MD, PhD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Treatments for broken capillaries

+1

IPL (broadband light) is one of the best treatments for small blood vessels on the face. Other excellent treatments include lasers such as the pulsed dye (v-beam) laser, the KTP laser, the Alexandrite and Diode. For larger vessels, the Nd:YAG laser can be very useful.

These are all effective, non-ablative treatments. While a single treatment can be helpful, a series of 3-5 treatments may be needed to resolve the blood vessels to your satisfaction.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist