Is Photodynamic Therapy a Good Choice for Pore Reduction?

In 2004, I had Photodynamic Therapy (PDT) to treat acne. It dramatically reduced my pores. I now use Obagi NuDerm to keep my acne under control. My t-zone pores returned within the year and are now very large. Should I seek more PDT or is there a different choice to consider since I am now only wanting to treat enlarged pores? Thank you.

PDT for enlarged pores

+1

PDT is not an ideal choice for treating large pores. It is not long lasting even though it does work for acne. If you are very concerned about your pore size you may want to consider laser resurfacing treatments or deep chemical peels.

New Haven Dermatologic Surgeon

Photodynamic therapy for large pores

+1

Photodynamic therapy or the use of a topical agent applied to the skin prior to laser or light source application is quite effective for the treatment of acne and can shrink pores.

However, for the treatment of both acne and large pores, the effect is not ever going to be permanent. Therefore, it’s no surprise that dilated pores have come back. Retreatment with Photodynamic Therapy can be effective for this problem.

To your health,
Dr. Goldberg

David Goldberg, MD

Photodynamic Therapy (PDT) a very useful adjunctive therapy for Acne

+1

While photodynamic therapy (PDT) does not do much for pore size reduction, PDT can be a very useful adjunctive therapy for acne. The temporary oxidative stress brought to the skin by PDT can be helpful to eradicate bacteria responsible for acne exacerbation and faciliate sebaceous glands on the skin to respond better to conventional therapy such as oral antibiotics and prescription strength topical therapy. Spectra Laser (utilizing Q-switched Nd:Yag laser) by Lutronic is the only laser that reliably reduces pore size.

Ideally, you should have PDT performed under the supervision of a board-certified dermatologist who has treated at least 100 acne patients with PDT as there is significant art and science associated with PDT protocol, i.e. incubation time (the amount of time Levulan is left on the skin) and the exposure time (the subsequent amount of time you are under the blue light therapy).

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon