Photodynamic Therapy for Fordyce Spots?

Is Photodynamic therapy effective against fordyce spots on the upper lip? I saw a dermatologist about white bumps on my upper lip and she suggested Photodynamic therapy but she has only tried it on a few patients and said only half were effective?

PDT not effective for Fordyce spots

+1

Steevo deevo,

PDT has not been shown clinically to be effective against Fordyce spots. It is also unfortunately not covered by your insurance for the treatment of these benign spots. I agree with the others - I would try electrodessication or spot TCA to the areas to see if you get good results.  Typically Fordyce spots are difficult to eliminate completely. Good luck! - Dr. Mariwalla

New Haven Dermatologic Surgeon

Photodynamic therapy for sebaceous hyperplasia or Fordyce spots

+1

While there is no clinical trials that validate the efficacy of photodynamic therapy (PDT) for treatment of sebaceous hyperplasia or Fordyce spots, you may have better clinical outcome if electrodessication is applied immediately prior to PDT.

Web reference: http://www.drwilliamting.com/Photodynamic_Therapy_PDT.html

Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Photodynamic therapy for Fordyce spots on lips

+1

Although this may be helpful for some patients and at a fair amount of cost, application of TCA (acid) on the lesions or gentle electrocautery should give you a more consistent result at less cost. 

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon