Photodynamic Therapy for Acne - Carried out Correctly? No Reaction/response, No Redness and Peeling, is This Normal?

Hello, I have had photodynamic therapy performed this week. The procedure was carried out as follows:45 minutes of ALA being applied to face in 5 minute intervals.I saw that it was a small bottle. Not all the bottle was used, in fact very little ammount. Blue Light(ipl?) was used on face, didn't hurt badly, just felt hot. This didn't last very long and was performed in less than 5 mins.I was not red AT ALL after the treatment. Still no redness or peeling,disheartened as to whether it worked.

PDT for Acne

+1

Although sometimes helpful, PDT using ALA and blue light often does not work so well for acne. For acne, with most of the problem being deeper, down in the oil glands which are deeper in the skin, one needs to have a PDT treatment with red light.

Since you got no reaction, see your doctor, and see what he/she thinks.

T. Wayne Day, MD

Nashville, TN

Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon