Why Do I Have Hanging Columella and Round Tip? (Photo)

I have searched everywhere with other people experience withswelling however i find that only i have the round hanging collumella/tip? Why is that so? Is it really swelling because it does not feel like one. I have never had it earlier. I am two month 2 weeks post op goretex and tip augmentation. ive been waiting for that to go down, but itdid not even a bit. Thank you

Tip swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

Asian rhinoplasty, I wish more patients came to me first.

Some synthetic implants such as Gore-Tex can complicate issues and that they tend to cause some prolong swelling or even infection but I don't think this is the case with you. Any tip work that you've had performed can take several months to see better definition as the swelling goes away. Synthetic implants can be great but they need to be carefully selected and only used in certain patients. The rest of the time cartilage grafting is a better option for you as you heal better and get better definition of the nose in general. That being said cartilage grafting takes a lot of skill and time in some surgeons just aren't comfortable with it or willing to devote the time during the surgery.

The short answer is that you simply have to give it more time for your rhinoplasty to show its final results.  in particular Asian rhinoplasty may have a longer healing period because some patients simply have either thick skin or what I refer to as "soft skin" that holds onto swelling for weeks or months.

give it time

Chase Lay, MD

Asian rhinoplasty specialist and double board certified facial plastic surgeon

Web reference: http://chaselaymd.com/rhinoplasty.html

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

2 Months after Rhinoplasty and Tip Swelling

+1

The swelling at the tip may take up to a year or longer to resolve.  The goretex may pose additional problems, but give yourself some more time.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com

Why Do I Have Hanging Columella and Round Tip?

+1

MUCH to early after the implant and rhinoplasty to be so concerned. Your doctor should have explained that swelling in your case can take a full year to settle. 

Hanging columella and rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Nam2,

• The tip swelling takes the longest to go down and you will see significant changes from months 3-6
  • If it is swelling that is causing your issue, you will know by 6 months
  • If it is the gortex, then it may need to be revised, but you are 3.5months away from knowing for sure...so far the results look nice

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

I prefer autogenous tissue for grafting in the nose.

+1

I am not sure what the tip was augmented with. The shape of the tip may be related to the graft that was placed, or separation of the cartilages forming the tip. If this does not resolve with time further surgery can correct it.. It does not really look like a hanging collumela.

Some surgeons are able to get away with using synthetic grafts in the nose, but there is an increased risk for contamination and infection of the graft material if it is synthetic. I woulld prefer using your own cartilage or even bone if neccesary.

I think your nose looks quite nice.

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon