Are Photfacial Burns Permanent? Was It Because I Had Been Tanning?

I had a photofacial a month ago with good results, I had one yesterday, unlike first, ( small brown spots which darkened..left)this burned for 4 hours Now I have major bandaid size BROWN/ burn strips across large areas of my face. Dr says it is because I had a tan ( I told her before we stated I had been in sun 2 hours tanning 2 days before) The large Brown/burn areas scare me. She said it will take a week,Will this go away or should I be worried? can the burn disfigure? it please offer HELP!

Sun tan is a common cause of burns from photofacials

+2

The settings of the IPL machine depend on skin type.  Skin type reflects how much pigment there is in the skin and how sensitive the skin is to sun exposure.

If there is sun exposure within the last 6-8 weeks, the risk of a burn from IPL increases significantly.  Most of the time these burns resolve without leaving any marks, however there is a risk of the pigmentary change being permanent.  That most likely correlates with the extent of the burn, that is, the deeper the burn, the more likely the chance of permanent or long-lasting changes in the skin.

The best you can do is make sure you use a sunscreen all the time and do not expose the burned areas to the sun.

Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Photofacials and sun avoidance

+1

You should not be having photofacials if you are tanning.  The brown pigmentation will fade but you may require the use of a fading cream.  You should avoid the sun until all of the pigment has faded.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Photofacial burns permanent?

+1

I agree with the 2 previous posts.  Almost certainly, the burns you experienced will resolve without leaving permanent scars.  However, I agree that there is no reason for you to get photofacial treatments if yu are still tanning.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Photofacial burns and tanning

+1

Tanning and any associated darkness often result in burns from photofacial treatments. Photofacial treatments are light treatments, and the light is attracted to pigment. When you have a tan, there is more pigment in the skin, and thus, the light hits it harder and is more likely to cause a burn - superficial or deep. My question is - why are you getting photofacials and tanning? Tanning causes premature aging of the skin, wrinkles, and lines, and makes the photofacials pretty much pointless. Stop tanning and you will see dramatic improvements in your skin, which your photofacials will only enhance. Right now, tanning and getting photofacials is both endangering your skin from the tanning and the probability that the photofacial treatment will cause a burn!

F. Victor Rueckl, MD