Wound Dehiscence After Gleuteal Implants, What Should I Do? (photo)

I am recovery from gleuteal implants my incision did not tolerate the plane ride home and started to have small drainage. The ps told me to remove the four sutures in the middle to help with drainage. Now of course it's open and I'm slowly dealing with this secondary closure. Yesterday made it post op day 22 and the wound looks like this. I had a consult at wound clinic who suggested I continue with q48 hr dressing changes and referred me to a ps. For a surgical closure. What do you all think?

Wound Dehiscence After Gluteal Implants, What Should I Do?

+1

Wound care and healing by secondary intention is most prudent.  Surgical closure is usually not necessary and is usually not recommended due to infection risks.                                                                                                                              Kenneth Hughes, MD                                                                                                           Los Angeles, CA      

Wound Healing Complication

+1

I agree you should be seen and monitored by plastic surgeon for wound care.  Judging from the photo however, it looks like with twice a day dressing changes and time this will close up just fine.  Glad to help... 

Ryan Stanton, MD

Intergluteal Wound Separation after Buttock Implants

+1

Intergluteal incision separation after buttock implant augmentation is not uncommon. The incision is simply in a body area that is exposed to a lot of shearing forces. This occasionally forces the skin edges apart and a deeper wound appears. There is no benefit by trying to surgically close it once it separates as it will not stay together as the tissues are too inflamed. It is best to simply let it heal by filling in with granulation tissue and then the skin will close over it. This will take 4 to 6 weeks to occur. Wear a pad over it to catch the drainage. As long as the implants wet placed in an intramuscular location there is no increased risk of infection as the implants are fully covered. If the implants are in a subfascial location an incisional opening may be more of a concern in that regard.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD