I Have Shooting on my Right Breast After my BA (12 Days Post Op) on the Outside Around my Stitches to my Nipple Area? (photo)

It has been so sharp and painful that it wakes me up at night multiple times a night. It seems to be close to the stitches area, however they are not infected or swollen etc. I also cannot sleep on either sides yet (which is my sleeping preference) because it is uncomfortable/causes the pains. When can I expect to start sleeping on my sides. I was a 36 A/B and received 435 'gummy bears' high profile. I am 5'10" and weigh 155.

I Have Shooting on my Right Breast After my BA (12 Days Post Op) on the Outside Around my Stitches to my Nipple Are

+1

Most likely a normal occurrence after the surgery. But better to see your surgeon in person for an evaluation. 

What to Expect with Healing Following a Breast Augmentation

+1

Thank you for your question.  From your photo, it appears that a good sized implant was placed to enhance your breast volume.  It is common that the breast is really tight for a number of weeks following surgery.  The main sensation nerves to the nipple originate on the side of your breast and travel to the nipple.  It sounds like this is where your discomfort originates.  This is likely due to nerve stretch, and should settle down soon.  Options for providing more comfort include starting some anti-inflammatory medications, such as Advil, Aleve, or even a prescription strength medicine such as Celebrex.  Icing can also help.  I would review these options with your doctor.  Best wishes!

Stephen Bresnick, MD

Breast Augmentation and Pain

+1

Dear the-new-me2013,  Breast surgery and the swelling after surgery causes trauma to the breast tissues including the nerves in the breasts.  As the tissues heal and the swelling resolves, it is not uncommon for patients after a breast augmentation surgery to feel increased tenderness and even occasional sharp, shooting pains-our office calls them "zingers"-in their breasts.  This process usually resolves over the first month or so but in some cases can last longer.  It is also not uncommon for these pains to increase around your period when your breasts are normally more sensitive.  If your plastic surgeon will allow you to take NSAID meds such as Motrin or Alleve, these can really help decrease the discomfort you are feeling. 

As for as trying to get more comfortable sleeping, try wearing a very supportive sport bra to bed and placing a small soft gauze roll in between your breasts.  Also, snuggling up to a very soft pillow can help with more support and lessen the pain.

Hope this helps.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Pain at incisions

+1

As the swelling dissipates, it is not uncommon for patients to have weird sensations. If they do not get better or really bother you, you may want to be seen by your surgeon.

Pain After Breast Augmentation

+1

Thanks for that question!  It is not uncommon for these type of pains early in the recovery period.  They usually subside on their own over a course of a few weeks to several months.  Be patient, and don't hesitate to query your surgeon if the pain persists.  Best wishes!

Brian Howard, MD
Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon

I Have Shooting on my Right Breast

+1

These symptoms are not uncommon. it can take from a few months to a year for some women to be able to sleep in their preferred positions. Not being able to sleep properly is a troublesome issue. Ask your surgeon about lidoderm or another topical local anesthetic, which can often help with this issue.

Thank you for your question, best wishes

Shooting pain in breast following breast augmentation.

+1

Thanks for your question.  It is very normal to have temporary numbness or pain following breast augmentation surgery.  It can take a few months for these temporary nerve effects to subside.  In terms of lying on your side, it likely will be fine to lay on your side by 3-4 weeks following your surgery.  Hope this helps.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Shootin pain 12 days after BA

+1

This is a normal phenomenon that is seen in many women for u 4 months and slowly settles down. No need to be worried. Wish all the best

Ashok Govila, FRCS, MCh, MS
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Sharp Pain to Nipple Areola Complex 12 Days after Breast Augmentation

+1

The sharp pain is likely the result of pressure or trauma to T3, T4 nerve fibers, which contribute to nipple areola sensation.  This is usually transient and will resolve in several weeks to months.  An exam is always required to confirm the diagnosis.