Will Laser Scar Removal or Medical Tattooing Fix my Tummy Tuck Scar? (photo)

I am 8 weeks post TT and have thankfully had an uneventful recovery. I do have slight dog ears that my PS said he would remove. My scar is quite a bit higher than what was discussed. My PS said my scar would lower, but I am not very hopeful. If my scar is high because of my anatomy, I can accept that. However, I'd like to know if either laser scar removal or medical tattooing would eliminate the appearance of my scar so that I may eventually get to wear a bikini? Thank you!

+2

First, let me say that your scar looks very good for 8 weeks.  You are still very early post op and you need to wait several months before considering a revision either LASER or tattooing or re-excision. from the way you look now I don't think you will need any further work.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Scar Revision

+2

Your scar actually looks good. You are only 8 weeks post-op, the scar will most likely continue to improve with time. You are still within the first 3 months of healing in which there is significant inflammation and scarring in the incision. The scar will continue to improve over the ensuing 9 months as the inflammation and scarring begin to subside. The laser will help diminish the redness within the scar, but will not erase the scar. Scars are permanent, this is your body's way of healing. You are far too early in your healing to consider any type of tattooing.

Be patient and continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon. I hope this helps.Best of luck.

Tummy tuck scar issues

+2

Actually your scar looks to be quite conventional for this far out.  It won't lower itself but it will heal nicely over time.  Lasers do NOT REMOVE scars, they can only speed up the resolution of redness at best.  Tattooing can be done but it is far too soon for that.  Please try to be patient and know that your doctor looks like they did a nice operation for you. 

Nice Result after Tummy Tuck

+1

You have a very nice result after tummy tuck, and you should have to see how your scar looks in several months or a year.  The scar can always be lowered in the future if absolutely necessary.  Tattoo and laser can also be considered.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Scar Too High After A Tummy Tuck

+1

Occasionally, a tummy tuck scar can ride up higher than the surgeon or the patient wants.  In these cases, I recommend waiting 4-6 months until the skin loosens up a bit and then performing a scar revision to help lower the scar.  Lasers will not erase the scar.  I have patients in my practice who have had very elaborate and colorful tattoos done to hide the scar if you are interested.

Tummy Tuck Scar Placement and Healing

+1

For only eight weeks out, your scar looks quite good and well placed. It would be very difficult if not impossible to get a full tummy tuck scar any lower. Your scar will get better with time which can take at least six months or more so you need to be patient with it before rushing in and doing unnecessary procedures. One reality is that there will always be a somewhat visible scar no matter how well it heals. Even you are using the criteria of a hidden scar based on the underwear that you are currently wearing, that was never a realistic scar location goal.

Web reference: http://www.eppleyplasticsurgery.com

Will Laser Scar Removal or Medical Tattooing Fix my Tummy Tuck Scar?

+1

Much TOOO early in scar maturation to consider laser therapy and/or "medical" tattoos. Are you sure you did not mean decorative tattoo? Allow 3 to 6 months of healing. Use silicone sheeting, scar creams at this point. Best to also discuss with your chosen PS. 

Scarring after a Tummy Tuck

+1

I recommend silicone gel sheeting. This is the only thing medically proven to help improve the appearance of scars. You can find and purchase this item online. Good luck!

Web reference: http://www.lookyounger.net

Tummy tuck and scar

+1

The scar looks like it ishealign well. A laser will not remove the scar and eventually you can have it tattooed if you desire but I would wait 6 months or longer for it to soften.

Will Laser Scar Removal or Medical Tattooing Fix my Tummy Tuck Scar

+1

The laser won't remove the scar. It may make it better if it is more noticable than average. It is not likely that the scar position will change. When these scars move it is usually upward, since that is the direction of the tension, but any more is unlikely at 8 weeks. 

The scar looks if anything better than average for 8 weeks, and it should continue to improve over the course of the first year after surgery. Stay in contact with your surgeon to discuss options.

All the best. 

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.