Tummy tuck candidate? (photos)

I got a consultation for a TT and was told to go workout for 6 months and come back to be re-evaluated. I see TONS of pictures on here where people are bigger than I am and they get TT's. I am 51 years old, 5'7", 165 lbs. I eat clean foods, no caffeine, lots of fruits & veggies, etc. and my weight never goes below 163. I am menopausal. I have a 12 hour work and transit day. Then I have laundry to do, a family to feed. There's no time to work out. Why am I different from other chubby people?

Reasonable candidate for tummy tuck

+2
Thank you for the pictures. I think that you can qualify for a tummy tuck. You will also need a little liposuction at the same time. This is commonly  referred to as a Lipoabdominoplasty. Your BMI is good at 25.8. Everything seems to be favorable based on your description and your pictures. Please visit with several board-certified plastic surgeons to get the best recommend directions.

Lipo and TT

+1
Thank you for the pictures.

I definitely believe that by doing a tummy tuck with liposuction in the waist, upper and lower back with fat grafting in to buttocks your body will have great results. I do suggest to loose the most weight possible in order for the fat mass to be less and optimize results.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

TT

+1
Thanks for your question and the posted photos. At your height and weight, you fit well within the BMI limitations--yours is 25.8, 30 is the usual limit. Your surgeon made a reasonable suggestion as your outcome would be better at a lower weight, and the operative risks, lower.  But 165 sounds like a steady and acceptable weight, so I see no reason not to consider you for surgery. You may need to find another surgeon to consult.

All the best. 

Is weight loss before tummy tuck necessary?

+1
Thank you for the question and for submitting your pictures!  Your are to be commended for your hard work and healthy lifestyle.  As others have mentioned, it is really impossible to tell you for sure how good of a candidate you are for a tummy tuck without actually performing a thorough history and exam and feeling the tissues in person. 

In general, it is best to achieve your lowest stable weight prior to undergoing abdominoplasty in order to obtain the optimal result.  Losing weight will decrease the thickness of the abdominal wall.  Reduction of intra-abdominal fat, which is the fat around the abdominal organs within the abdominal wall, can only be achieved with diet and exercise.  Decreasing the amount of fatty tissue present prior to surgery will allow your surgeon to remove the maximal amount of excess skin and give you the most desirable result.

It is not uncommon, however, for patients to plateau before reaching their goal weight with exercise, diet, and even weight loss surgery.  In many of these cases, a safe and still dramatic improvement can still be obtained with plastic surgery. 

Clay Forsberg, MD

Candidate for surgery

+1
Thanks for your question and the great pictures. Technically base on your photos and BMI you would be a candidate for those procedures. My concern is that you have a lot of intraabdominal fat that lives around your organs. This fat can really only be affected with weight loss. I can understand your time crunch. I would suggest trying a low carbohydrate diet and possibly 20min of exercise a day. You are going to be happier with your overall result if you have just a little bit of weight loss. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Tummy tuck candidate?

+1
Very hard call over the internet even with great posted photos! I might consider losing 20 pounds first to see how much excess skin is left. Or you might consider a mini TT with mid/upper abdominal liposuction.. Again a very hard decision...  

Tummy Tuck for Me? (photos)

+1
You're amazing (work plus commute 12h/day plus cooking & laundry) and while I agree with other responders that physical exam is an important determinant of expected results, the fact that you have children, have great skin tone, have an abdominal bulge from side view, have an hourglass shape from front view, and a relatively low belly button, and that you're 5'7", 165 lbs. with good diet, in my opinion, make you an excellent candidate for abdominoplasty.  The style of your panties will easily conceal the scar.

If you don't do it now and enjoy it for the next 20 yrs., the return on investment is not as good.  You've earned it, I'm feeling you.  If you had come into my office and I thought you should lose weight, I would help you do it... Diet and psychology more important than exercise in this regard, and the end is more important than the means.  If one approach doesn't work, try another.

Get opinions from additional surgeons in your area who show good tummy tuck results on their website.

Steve Laverson, MD

Am I a tummy tuck candidate?

+1
Thanks so much for your question. My short answer is, Yes!  I do think that you would be a great candidate for a tummy tuck.  I think that a tummy would give you more shape. It would flatten your stomach. You could combine that with sine Lipo of the flanks to really add more definition and curves. Hope that helps. 

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck candidate?

+1
Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

TT

+1
It is difficult for a consultant on this panel to give you a straight answer because an examination is really needed.  That said go on consults with other specialists in your area and get their opinion

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon