How Can I Relieve Stuffy Nose Caused by Nasal Perforation?

Hello, for the last couple years, on and off, i will not be able to breathe from my nose, especially at night. I don't really sleep a lot of nights. I've been to dr several times, sprays actually make me more stuffed, otc allergy stuff won't work. Dr. recently told me about a hole in my septum, that its permanent damage and nothing can be done. I cannot accept that answer and live this way! Prob need surgery, anything i can do for relief so I can sleep?! Thanks!

+1

The basics for symptomatic treatment of a septal perforation include nasal saline sprays and PM ointment to prevent crusting. You also want to avoid any additional trauma to your nasal septum. Assuming that any underlying causes of the perforation have been ruled out there are two options to close the perforation. The first is surgical repair where some of the lining tissue of the nose is rearranged to cover the hole. This typically results in a durable repair unless the hole is very large. The other option is placement of a septal button which is essentially a flexible plug that fills the hole. This is easily performed in the office. However, some find the button to be uncomfortable and it can sometimes attract even more crusting than the perforation. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Weber Facial Plastic Surgery

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septal perforation repair

+1

A septal perforation can come from a variety of sources. Small ones can be left alone while rather large ones need to be repaired. The nasal congestion feeling is due to cross ventilation of the nasal passageways, not smooth laminar air flow. There  are 2 types of repairs, these include a simple Silastic septal button placement to close the hole, or extensive flap surgery and grafting to surgically close the hole.

Septal perforations are treatable

+1

Sorry to hear about your breathing issues. Septal perforations can cause turbulent airflow within your nose as your breathe. When the perforation is repaired, this turbulent flow becomes more laminar resulting in less "congestion." Schedule an appointment with an experienced nasal surgeon for an evaluation. Many septal perforations are not a permanent condition.  Thank you for sharing your concern and question. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD