Developing CC 7 Weeks Post Op? Left Breast Giving Me Problems. (photo)

It is getting harder in the upper pole area and looks noticeably smaller and higher than the right. It is also becoming more painful as the days progress. From what I've researched it sounds to me like CC???? If so am I a good candidate for non surgical treatments such as accolate? I have a post op on the 8th to discuss this but i appreciate other opinions.

Seven weeks too early for capsular contraction.

+2

The breasts demonstrate significant asymmetry in size. Seven weeks is too early for capsular contracture. Look for another cause.

Capsular contracture 2 months post-op

+2

Without a proper physical exam it will be difficult to determine whether you do in fact have capsular contracture, however, based upon your pictures and your history, it certainly sounds like you might have an early one beginning.  This is important to discuss with your surgeon soon, because if you do have contracture, it would be very important to get you started on medication as soon as possible to maximize the chances that it will be effective and prevent the need to return to surgery.  I have had very good response over all in many cases with early capsule contracture using Singulair, or montelukast.  I don't favor Accolate because of the higher incidence of side effects, namely liver problems with that drug.  Good luck.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD

Not a capsular contracture causing your asymmetry

+2

You have a number of asymmetries with the left  breat smaller than the left and the left inframammary crease is higher.  You may need a larger implant on this side as well as a lowering of the IMF.  I do not think this is a capsular contracture. 

Developing CC 7 Weeks Post Op?

+2

Thanks for your question and posted photos. As I look at these photos what strikes be most is the size difference and apparent difference in position of the folds. It is hard to make much of this without seeing some preop photos, and some more info, such as the size of the implants (same or different) and the pre surgery breast size and shape (same or different). 

Although a marked CC may be obvious on a photo, that diagnosis really requires an examination, so seeing your surgeon will be much more valuable than on line opinions. All the best. 

Developing CC 7 Weeks Post Op? Left Breast Giving Me Problems.

+2

Yes plus external compression exercises are needed. Ask on the Monday appointment. Best of luck to you. 

Early capsular contracture

+2

It certainly is possible that you may be developing capsular contracture on the left but this determination cannot be made without an in person examination.  In general if there is a concern, I like to start with non surgical treatments such as accolate or Singulair.  I would call your surgeon and request an in person evaluation to determine the best course of treatment.  Good luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD

CC 7 weeks after?

+2

You're still early in the healing process but discuss your concerns with your surgeon as evaluation can help determine if indeed, a contracture is developing or not.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast developing a CC?

+2

It is always good to see preop photos as well. The breasts look different in terms of volume as well.

+2

Dear MaryBeth,

If I am understanding the photos correctly, the first is early post-operative, the second is 8 weeks after surgery.  It appears that you are having some symptoms of CC as well as the implant never seems to have dropped.  The latter can be from asymmetry in your pre-op creases, but hard to know without a pre-op photos.  Depending on the type of implant that you have, massage may or may not help.  Singulair is usually better for preventing CC in patients who have already had one and are undergoing a revision (you may benefit from this when you get a likely revision/capsulotomy).  I would do massage as instructed by your PS and wait.  If this does not resolve in another 3-6 months, the its time to start talking about revision.  A revision with lowering the breast crease will help a great deal in symmetry.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Massage and medication for early capsule contracture

+2

Hello Marybeth,

Sorry to hear about your potential early capsule contracture.  In the early stages of capsule contracture consistent massage and medications such as singulair may help.  Laying on the floor on a ball may help with creating enough pressure for the massage part.  I would continue this "conservative" treatment process for about 3 months and assess if it is helping.  If no improvement is seen the next step can be either a capsulotomy (opening) or a capsulloraphy (removal).  The first can be performed under local anesthesia and does not require implant removal, the second should be performed under IV/general anesthesia and should include implant removal.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD