Breast Implant Slowly Leaking and Causing Pain?

I have had saline implants for 7 years now and it feels like one implant is slowly leaking. I can feel the bag rippling more than before and can actually pinch it through the skin, which I have never been able to do before. It has also lost some volume towards the top. When laying down, it feels like it is moving around in the pocket. My breast has also been aching for almost 24 hours now. Does this sound like it is leaking? Since it is Saturday, I cannot do anything about it until Monday.

Leaking implant

+1

Hello. From what you have described it sounds like your implant is leaking slowly. I would recommend you speak with your surgeon as soon as possible and have the damaged implant removed and replaced before the pocket begins to close which would make revision surgery more difficult.

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Augmentation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Removal of a ruptured breast implant

+1

Saline implants do have a finite risk of rupture.  I would seek a plastic surgeon to examine the implant and then plan for surgical removal of the ruptured implant with replacement. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

+1

It very well could have a slow leak in it. Most of the time when saline implants get a hole in them, they really deflate pretty quickly...but on occasion they can have a slow valve leak (just saw one lasst week!)...And when they do leak I have seen patients ache a bit or get an almost flu-like syndrome....But nothing to panic about but it helps to get it fixed as soon as you can. The capsule does have a tendency to shrink in after a deflation, making the replacement a little more of a challenge...

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Slowly Deflating

+1

Breast implants can deflate slowly, and the characteristics you are describing do seem to indicate that.  Pain is usually not characteristic.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Leaking implant symptoms

+1

Typically leaking implants whether quick or slow, typically does not present with pain or other physical symptoms of the like.

One does notice is loss of volume, perhaps increase in ripples, palpability of the implant.

If you have pain, it is likely due to something else.

Be sure to contact your doctor.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Leaking implant?

+1

The only way to tell you if your implant is leaking is by doing a proper exam and assessing the situation.

Breast Implant Leakage?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the concerns you have after breast augmentation surgery. Although your description does sound consistent with breast implant leakage, the other explanation may be breast implant displacement ( laterally).

As you mentioned, in-person examination by your plastic surgeon will be your best source for precise advice.