Can a philtrum injection define the philtrum lines without accentuating the upper lip? (Photo)

I would like to define my philtrum lines with an injectable filler. My only concern is that my upper lip would stand out more which I want to avoid since it's already pronounced. Can the philtrum lines be defined without accentuating the upper lip?

Yes...

+1
Yes, I like to use Juvederm in the upper lip and Juvederm Ultra does a nice job of defining the philtrum lines. For very sleight devinition, Belotero is a good option.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Cupid's Bow and philtrum injections are easy and look great

+1
Injecting the philrum of the lips is part of the technique we call the Paris lip injections to accentuate the philtrum and cupids bow. Belotero is a great filler for this purpose. Sincerely, David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Injecting The Philtral Columns Defines The Philtrum Without Affecting The Nearby Lip

+1
Some people, even in youth, naturally do not have a well-defined philtrum; others lose the philtral columns with age-related volume loss of the upper lip. Happily, fillers, my favorite for this being Belotero Balance, can be used to define and recreate (or create entirely) the philtrum. I prefer Belotero, since it has little likelihood in giving rise to the unwanted, bluish discoloration known as the Tyndall Effect when injected superficially. Restylane L is another good choice for this area, since it possesses a very good lifting capacity. Appropriately performed, treatment of the philtrum should not in any way affect the lips proper. Expertise is required for injecting this area and shaping and angling the columns upward appropriately, so be sure to seek the services of a board certified core aesthetic physician.with the requisite experience.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

+1
YES! Using the "micro droplet" injection techniques the areas desired can be done without affecting the areas not desiring change... 

Philtral Line Injection To Define Lips

+1
It is very easy to define the columns, seek someone who has experience.  Sometimes this makes or breaks the lips final apperance. I wish you the best of luck, Dr. Emer.

Philtral line injections

+1
Philtral columns can be accentuated with filler material.  It should not impact other parts of the lip unless they are filled too.

Can a philtrum injection define the philtrum lines without accentuating the upper lip?

+1
You do have nice, full lips. Dermal filler such as Juvederm can be placed in the philtral columns without adding any volume to the red portion of your lip or changing the lip line. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filling the philtrum

+1
It looks like your philtral lines are already pronounced, as well as your upper lip.  I would not recommend any more or it may begin to look unnatural.  You also have a nice cupid's bow shape of your upper lip, which I would not touch.  The philtrum lengthens with age so for a more youthful look it is possible to shorten the philtrum with filler in the corners below the nostrils deep to the maxillary bone.  This injection is tricky and should, in my opinion, only be done by a board certified physician.  Another option for shortening the philtrum, is a lip lift.  I would caution against jumping into getting a lip lift unless you find a specialist in this procedure.

Karen Stolman, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon