Vaser Liposuction 13 Points Total. Do I Need General Anesthesia?

Hi I'm 27, 5"0 and gave birth sept. 6, 2012 natural/normal. I am scheduled for vaser liposuction on dec 7, 2012 in upper and lower back, full abdomen, narrowing waist line, arms and pubic area. Is it safe to do it early as 3 months? If yes, can I do it all at once? And doc said I need gen.anesthesia as too many areas. But I'm scared I won't be awake.i don't hve med. issues except I smoke pack a day. I'm 110during pregnancy and I'm now 89lbs. Thank u.

Post Pregnancy Vaser Lipo

+1

Thank you for your question. At 89 lbs., smoking a pack a day, I would get a second opinion. See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, and have another evaluation. I would like patients to wait at least 6 months to a year.  I hope this helps.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Vaser liposuction after delivery

+1

I think 3 months after delivering is a bit too soon to perform any procedure. The body is still going through changes and I usually want patients to wait 6 months to a year as long as their weight is stable and they are healthy and back or close to their pre-pregnancy weight.

Vaser and type of anaesthesia required

+1

From your weight and height you probably do not have too much fat to remove. It is considered safe to remove about 6 litres of fat with Vaser in one go. However, I have removed much larger volumes in some patients. The larger the volume of fat -the more injury ones body suffers and the longer recovery takes.

Most patients feel some break through pain when Vaser done under local anaesthetic alone. Ideally they also should have sove IV sedation to compliment local anaesthesia. As you are having multiple area treatments -you should have some additionla form of anaesthesia as only local anaesthetic might be not sufficient to keep you comfortable. Sedation should be a good choice (it is like general anaesthetic but patient is not intubated). Presence of an anaesthetist required for IV sedation gives you an additional safety during your procedure. Try to give up smoking to ensure better recovery and optimal skin retraction.

Alexandra Chambers, MD
London Dermatologist