Asian rhinoplasty using rib cartilage. How long would it take to heal?

I'm filipina with a flat bulbous nose. I was wondering if harvesting rib cartilage, how long will it fully heal? My PS says he needs to use rib cartilage for a significant change.. i am also wanting to get a breast augmentation done 3 months after asian rhinoplasty, but I am worried because my PS will have to operate on my chest to harvest my rib cartilage for my nose that it will take a while to heal.

Recovery after rib cartilage harvest for Asian rhinoplasty

+1
For the most significant change in Asian rhinoplasty, rib cartilage is the best choice for a number of reasons.  The rib and chest will be somewhat sore for the first 4-5 days after surgery, and sutures are removed a week after surgery.  By the second week, most of this soreness has resolved and patients may resume light exercise after 2 weeks.  At this point the incision line is typically well-healed.  By 4 weeks full exercise may resume.  A 2 cm linear scar hidden in the crease below your breast is all that remains by this point.  

The incision for rib cartilage harvest is typically smaller and more medially placed than the incision for breast augmentation, and should not affect it.  Nearly a third of my female patients have had breast augmentation, and the rib harvest is performed entirely below the breast, and does not interfere with the implant or breast at all.  

Asian rhinoplasty

+1
Costal cartilage provides great grafting material. However, if you are concerned about healing from the extra incision, perhaps you would benefit from a small synthetic dorsal implant. They have been used successfully and safely in many patients.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asian Rhinoplasty with Rib Cartilage

+1
Rib cartilage for Asian Rhinoplasty is a great way to build a great nose without synthetic implants.  However, it is not necessarily the first line for autogenous reconstruction.  I would recommend septum (if there is enough) and ear cartilage along with diced cartilage and fascia for the bridge.  There are many techniques that can get you a great result.  Be sure to explore them all so you can make a great choice.

Jay Calvert, MD