I Want to Have Alar Plasty but I Dont Know if Alar Plasty Alone Will Make my Nose Look Smaller (photos)

my nose looks big in front view i want to make it small.. i just want my nose to look smaller but i dont know if alar plasty alone will make my nose look smaller. help me. any advices will be appreciated.. thanks..

You may be candidate for rhinoplasty with alar reduction

+3

Personally I believe you would benefit from a rhinoplasty with alar reduction. You need some refinement to the tip and thinning of the base of the nose. Alar plasty alone would not give you the best aesthetic results. When performing rhinoplasty it is important to evaluate all of the facial aesthetics to achieve a well balanced natural looking nose. The photographs presented do not show all of your features so this is based on what I am able to view. A computer analysis would be helpful for you. I perform computer imaging on all of my consulting patients this allows the patient to see their proposed result. This is helpful in opening up an understanding and discussion regarding the patients expectations and the surgeons aesthetics. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Alarplasty and nasal size

+2

It is unlikely that alarplasty alone will make your nose look smaller. There appears to be some width to your tip that would need to be considered as well. Also, on the side view it appears that your nose is somewhat foreshortened and has a poor columellar labial angle relative to your upper lip. I would see a rhinoplasty expert in your area. Good luck.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alarplasty alone?

+2

it is rare that addressing only one portion of the nose will result in the desired results.

taking a case like your for example.  the nose is wide.  but it is also laking in projection.  increasing projection of the tip will inherently improve tip definition/refinement, it will also serve to narrow the base by drawing in the outward bulging alae.  nonetheless, you would still likely benefit from an alar reduction - but to make a coherent and wholistic change to a nose like yours, i believe more is needed.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Tip Reduction and Alar Base Reduction

+1

The alar base can be reduced as well as the tip.  You may want the bony width reduced as well.   Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Alarplasty to Reduce Nose?

+1

Ethnic noses are very difficult and challenging cases. Your photographs are limiting, but the advice I would give you is that often times you need multiple maneuvers to create the aesthetically appealing result that you would like. Only at an in person interview will one be able to discern what you really need to reshape your nose the way that you want it. Certainly alar reductions are very common in ethnic Rhinoplasty but many other things may need to be done to give the overall result you are looking for. I would make sure you find a board certified Rhinoplasty surgeon before you proceed. Meet with as many surgeons as it takes until you find the one that you like and trust.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Alarplasty alone

+1

An alarplasty can be performed as a stand alone procedure on the nose.  The alarplasty will only narrow the very base of the nose and nostrils.  To narrow the tip,  a tip-plasty will need to be performed.  To narrow the bridge, , osteotomies need to be done.  It is important to have a well balanced nose that appears very natural

Rhinoplasty/alarplasty

+1

From the posted photos, it seems that you have a short nose with wide and flat tip. The flaring of the alar cartilage  are due to lack of tip support which could be corrected by putting a septal strout. This would elavate the tip, narrows the alar flaring and improve the nasal tip. The final result would be a more balanced nose . 

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Alarplasty alone?

+1

Hard to say if an alarplasty alone would be good for you.  A full face view and of course an exam in person is essential. 

Alarplasty - rhinoplasty

+1

Your alar base is wide for your face.  Alarplasty via Weir excision will narrow the base, but with substantial narrowing there may be airway compromise since the height of the ala on each side is low.  Proper narrowing should include a procedure to open the alar openings toward the tip.  This is a difficult maneuver and should be attempted only by a surgeon with broad experience in adjusting the "soft triangle" of the nose.

Consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and be sure to see a comprehensive portfolio of pre- and post-op pictures to get an idea of what might be reasonable to expect.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Alar Reshaping Alone or With Formal Rhinoplasty

+1

Based on the photos, I would recommend you undergo a formal rhinoplasty that would allow reshaping of the tip as well as the nasal base (alar region). This is going to provide you with a much more natural look. My concern with doing just the alar work is that your tip will then look disproportionately too large.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon