Are They Soft to the Touch Like Real Breast?
Doctor Answers (7)
Like real breasts
Feel of breast implants varies from person to person.
There is significant variation of the degree of softness and how breasts feel from person to person, even in those who have never had breast surgery. There are multiple factors in how the breasts will feel after an augmentation:
· 1. The fill material of the implant: Generally the feel of silicone is more natural than that of saline, especially in a person with very little breast tissue.
· 2. The amount of a person’s own breast tissue: If someone has a fair amount of their own breast tissue, then the feel of saline versus silicone is not as important because the existing breast tissue provides a thicker cover over the implant.
· 3. The position of the implant. Sub-muscular or sub-glandular: If an implant is under the muscle, there is additional tissue that covers the implant, usually resulting in a softer feel.
· 4. The configuration of the implant: Higher profile implants may feel firmer. Form stable implants also known as highly cohesive gel implants and commonly called “gummy bear implants”, which may be appropriate in some patients, are claimed to feel more natural, but are actually firmer than the other current types of silicone implants.
· 5. The implant covering: Smooth surface implants move more naturally than textured implants, so they feel more natural, especially when someone lies down.
· 6. Implant size. Very large implants usually do not feel or look as natural. Saline implants that are significantly over-filled definitely feel firmer.
· 7. Capsular contraction: Implants initially feel tighter and firmer and then get softer unless there is a tightening of the internal scar that forms around an implant which can make the breast feel firmer. It occurs in a lower rate with saline implants and in a sub-muscular position.
· 8. The plastic surgeon: It is not only the type and position of the implant that is important in achieving an outcome. It is also the plastic surgeon. To maximize the probability of having a pleasing result, have a consultation with a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery and address your concerns .
Most patients who have undergone a breast augmentation are happy they did it.
Robert Singer, MD FACS
La Jolla, California
Breast Implants and Softness
In general, silicone gel implants have a better consistency than saline implants and do tend to feel more natural. No implant feels like breast tissue. Kenneth Hughes, MD breast implants Los Angeles, CA
You might also like...
Three types of implants
There are in general three types of implants. Saline, cohesive silicone, and form stable. Of the three cohesive silicone implants are the softest and tend to feel closest to real breasts. Form stable implants are also silicone but are firmer. Nothing beats the real thing--breast tissue-- but cohesive silicone implants are a very close second.
All the best,
Dr Remus Repta
Breast Implants Natural feel
Cohesive silicone implants feel soft much like a natural breast. Saline implants feel a bit more firm and may have more ability for the bag to be felt. For this reason many patients greatly prefer the cohesive silicone (gel) implants.
Natural feel to Breast Implants
The answer is yes. I have patients that husbands do not know they have implants. Be sure to consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgery (ASPS) to discuss you concerns and expectations.
Natural feel to breast implants
Thank you for your question. The feel of breast implants after a breast augmentation are based on many factors. Some of the most important factors include the amount of breast tissue you already have, the position that the implants were placed in, and the type of implant used (silicone or saline). Generally, placing large saline implants in a small framed patient with minimal breast tissue will lead to a very "artificial" feel. Placing average silicone implants in a patient with already moderate breast tissue will lead to a "natural" feel. Meet with a board-certified plastic surgeon in consultation to help you answer your questions if you decide to pursue surgery.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.