How would I treat a Seroma that has turned into scar tissue on my abdomen? (photo)

I'm just about 6 wks po and have developed a seroma almost immediately after the drains were removed. The fluid was drained daily for about three weeks. Now there is no longer any fluid just a protruding hard section of scar tissue. My doctor says to continue massages and that it will go away in a few more weeks. I am not convinced that massages only would dissolve the scar tissue. What would be my other options for treatment?

How can a seroma scar be treated?

+2
I am sorry you had a complication from liposuction or surgery.
The hard scar around the seroma is inevitable.
It will take a long time to subside.
I have found in my practice that injection of local anesthesia alone - or with a minuscule amount of steroid - hasten the softening of these hard scars - but no more than 3 injections of very dilute steroid 6 weeks apart or the skin itself can thin.
Ask your surgeon if this treatment might be appropriate for you. Best wishes.

Scar tissue

+1
Thanks for your picture. If there is no more fluid, I agree that massage and time (3-6 months) could improve this area.  The only other remedy would be surgical removal.

Good luck.

Earl Stephenson, Jr, M.D., DDS, FACS

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Seromas should be drained until no further accumulation has occurred.

+1
A seroma should be drained periodically until no further fluid accumulates. Failure to do this will and with reorganization and formation of a hard mass it may take years to totally dissipate.

Seroma issue

+1
Since I do not see a scar around your umbilicus I assume you had either liposuction or perhaps a mini-tummy tuck(?).  This can go away with time as it settles down.

How would I treat a Seroma that has turned into scar tissue on my abdomen?

+1
Very difficult issue to treat. I recommend ThermiTight RF or ThermiSmooth RF therapies under local anesthesia or topical anesthesia... 

Seroma Treatment

+1
I am not sure what type procedure you had performed. I presume it was either a tummy tuck or liposuction. Seromas can occur after either of these procedures. Initial treatment is usually aspiration and compression over the area with an abdominal binder or ace wrap. If you are six weeks postop

William G. Hart Jr., MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon