Charge for TT with or Without Muscle Repair - is There a Difference in Cost?

I had a TT. My bill stated TT with muscle repair. When I went for my po I was told I had no muscle repair. Should I question my charge? I don't want to appear petty as I like my surgeon and am happy with my result so far. I am 3 weeks po.

Every surgeon is different but I can tell you that I don't charge separately (my fee includes the abdominal wall tightening).  Cost should not be your deciding factor but rather results.  Have your surgeon show you at least 10 examples of similar cases to yours and make sure the before/after photos include front/quarter turn/profile/back/sitting views from under the breast to above the knee area. 

120 South Spalding Drive, Suite 233
Beverly Hills , CA 90212

Abdominoplasty Cost

Every surgeon is different in their cost structure, but most surgeons probably have a standard fee for an abdominoplasty, whether you need to plicate the abdominal wall or not.  Some will charge additionally for that component, but there are some women who it may not be evident prior to the surgery, who then need to undergo the plication once the abdominal wall is actually examined.  For those reasons, most charge the same amount regardless.  It never hurts to discuss it with your surgeon's office.  It is always nice to ake sure that there was not some sort of billing mistake.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

1602 Colonial Parkway
Inverness, IL 60067

Extra charge for muscle repair

My fee is based on the amount of work required and estimated length and complexity of the surgery. I do not charge extra, per se, for muscle repair. It's part of achieving an excellent result. Your doctor's office may use the nomenclature on a standard billing form. It is certainly worth inquiring respectfully but I would not rush to any conclusions.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

112-03 Queens Blvd
Forest Hills, NY 11375

No Difference In Cost Of TT With/Without Muscle Repair

I do not charge differently for a tummy tuck which does not include a muscle repair which I do very infrequently.  The muscle repair, although a very important component of a tummy tuck, adds little additional time to the procedure.

John Whitt, MD (retired)

4001 Kresge Way
Louisville, KY 40207

Tummy Tuck with or without muscle repair.

I do the muscle repair as part of a tummy tuck whenever it will provide a benefit. I do not up-charge when I perform a muscle repair. It is part of getting the best result possible.

What is stated on the billing is not likely generated by your doctor. If you are happy with your results, and you like your surgeon, personally, I wouldn't worry about. Since you are obviously worrying about it, find a way to resolve it so it doesn't ruin what is otherwise a good result.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

130 La Casa Via
Walnut Creek, CA 94598

TT with or Without Muscle Repair - is There a Difference in Cost

Every office manages fees and quotes differently. Some have fixed charges for TT, some vary the cost with the patient size and therefore anticipated operating time. The only way to know is to ask your surgeon.

If your quote had a separate fee for the muscle repair, it would seem reasonable to get the difference refunded. I recently omitted part of a breast procedure that seemed unnecessary after the rest of the surgery was completed. It had a separate fee associated with it, and I refunded that amount. 

If it was part of a "global fee" it would have to be evaluated on a case to case basis. 

Thanks for your question. Best wishes for your recovery.

1110 112th Avenue NE
Bellevue, WA 98004