Is Botox a good treatment plan for TMD and a locked jaw?

After some bad dentistry 4 yrs. ago that left me with reduced teeth, uneven temporary crowns, a failed attempt to restore and numberous appliances, the current suggestion for an attempt to help my Anterior Disc Displacement and deviated bite that has started locking, is Botox. I am 63 year old female that had been in good health until a few months ago, I landed in the emergency room and needed Kyphoplasty. Keeping my correct posture is critical for my recovery, so is the TMJ Botox a good idea?

Botox for TMJ

+2
Hello. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Botox is a good option for TMJ pain that is the result of masseter and temporal muscle hypertrophy. It works by weakening these muscles and therefore alleviating symptoms of TMJ. Often, multiple treatments and high doses of Botox are required to achieve the desired effect. I have not found it to be very helpful in situations where symptoms are largely due to the degeneration of the TMJ joint, dislocation of the joint, or lock/clicking jaw. Hope this helps and hope you find some relief!

Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Botox for TMJ and Lock Jaw

+2
Some teeth grinders do get TMJ joint and lock jaw.  If you are a teeth grinder, then I would try Botox in the masseter muscle to improve those symptoms.

Karen Stolman, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for TMD and locked jaw

+1

Greta, If some of your problem involves the pulling from muscles that are overused or have become dominant in one direction then Botox should help you. The good thing about Botox is that it involves a few seconds of injections and only lasts for months. Therefore it is certainly worth a try. I just treated a teenager who had visited four dentists and oral surgeons who could not treat her pain or find a good cause for it. We thought that since she was a tooth grinder and her pain seemed to be most intense at the TMJ that we would try Botox(actually we used Dysport). She is greatly improved. This treatment is noninvasive and worth a try.

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist