Downsizing Breast Implants?

I had breast implants placed in July of this year. They are 371 cc silicone under the muscle. I am 5'7" and a skinny upper body athletic 130 lbs. I have felt that this size is too big for me. I am ready to have new smaller implants, but want to make sure I am happy with the result. I am debating between the 286 cc or the 304cc. Any recommendations? I have pretty good skin elasticity but do not want the implants to be too far apart either. I am also a runner.

Down Sizing Implants to 304 cc or 286 cc

+1

From a practical standpoint the difference will not be noticeable.  You may want the smaller one given your running status.

Smaller

+1

tough to answer this without any photographs. if you have any pre existing ptosis at this time you will have more with smaller implants

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Downsizing implants

+1

I try to get my patients to wait 12 months prior to downsizing. If you are certain, and you want to do it now, then to notice a significant difference in size I would recommend going down 100cc+/-, with a lower profile then you have now, which will increase the width of the implant.

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Revision breast augmentation and downsizing implants

+1
To make a "significant" difference going up or down in size, I generally recommend about a 100 cc difference when exchanging implants. If you like an athletic look and you enjoy running, then the use of smaller implants sounds like the way to go. If you are concerned about the distance between your breasts after removing the 371 cc implants, you could ask your plastic surgeon about using smaller volume implants with similar base diameters to those that are being removed. However, the downside to this is much less projection in the replacement implants. Hope this helps! Thanks for your question!

Gregory Park, MD

Hello

+1

It is impossible to tell you whether your breast will be far apart without examining you. In our practice we say that 200-225cc equal to one cup size. If you’re going to down size make it worth it.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

When downsizing breast implants

+1

As a rule when downsizing a breast implant, it takes 100cc to make a visible difference, and the 286 is just over the 'worth it' range. Anything more is not going to get you far. Also, the 304 you are anguishing over is just 18cc larger than the 286. If you really need to be smaller just do it.

Changing breast implant size

+1

Without seeing you in person, it's difficult to answer these questions.  A surgeon would have to take measurements of your body and then have you provide a photo of the desired size.  Then, recommendations could be made as to which implant will help you achieve your aesthetic goals.  They come in different shapes, diameters, and sizes.  Let your surgeon help you pick the size.  Hope this helps.

Victor Ferrari, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Downsizing Breast Implants

+1

Hi h12,

I think all plastic surgeons would agree that it is a challenge to help patients choose an implant size. Despite extensive pre-op discussions, after surgery a patient will sometimes decide they want to be smaller or larger. I advise patients to wait at least 6 months before deciding on more surgery. This allows time for:

• the breast tissue to soften
  • the swelling to go away
  •  a mental adjustment to the new body image.

If you stlll want to go smaller, allow for even more time to discuss your new size. You don't want to go from being too big to being too small. My "rule-of thumb" is to go down at least three implant sizes to see a difference. But you will also have to consider the profile style (base diameter) so the implants won't be too far apart.

Thanks for your question and good luck!

Stephen M. Lazarus, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Downsizing Breast Implants?

+1

Either one of the breast implant sizes that you mentioned will likely result in  noticeably smaller breasts.  The questions that will need to be answered during direct consultation will be:

1. Which of the breast implant sizes will most likely achieve your size goals;  I prefer the use of goal pictures to help with this communication process.

2. Is the overlying skin/breast tissue elasticity sufficient to “bounce back”  over the smaller breast implants?

3. Do the breast implant pockets themselves need to be adjusted (internal suture repair) to appropriately accommodate the smaller breast implants?

As you can imagine, online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific advice regarding these issues.   When the time is right, select your plastic surgeon carefully. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work helping patients in your situation.