Phenol Peel Vs Laser for Acne Scarring? (photo)

I'm looking to maximally repair rolling, boxcar and icepick scarring left over from acne, and need to decide whether to have a phenol peel followed by dermabrasion ("phenol chemabrasion") or a separate laser and dermabrasion treatment. I am also considering having punch excision for the deeper scarring before any other procedure.

Acne Scarring Treatments

+1

CO2 lasers generally are most effective in reducing acne scarring when the scarring involves large areas of the face and forehead.  Dermabrasion is an option when the scarring is limited to a small region.

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Acne scar treatment

+1

You are on the right track. Excision and punch grafting work best for deep scars. Carbon dioxide laser is great for reducing shallow scars and tightening the skin. Dermabrasion is great for flattening scars. The bottom line is to choose a surgeon who is experienced and does not use only one modality to trrat acne scars.

Robert S. Bader, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon