Can Chest Muscles Be Too Overdeveloped to Go Under?

I recently had surgery to go from over to under. My surgeon says he was unable to go under the muscle saying they were to overdeveloped/thick.. Needless to say I ended back over the muscle with visible rippling. Was he being truthful? I am a Powerlifter/bodybuilder.

Body Builder Pectorals

+1

Dear Jacqueline Phenix: The simple answer is yes. If the muscle is too powerful it can displace the implant laterally or superiorly. If saline was used a switch to silicone gel may help. You could also consider coverage with acellular dermal matrix to camouflage the rippling. Please discuss all options with your plastic surgeon.

Metairie Plastic Surgeon

Bodybuilders and implant positioning

+1

If you have thick pectoralis muscles and are bench pressing 200 pounds then over the muscle may be an option.   I would not use saline filled implants in this situation due to the risk of rippling.  Under the muscle may cause the implant to push out laterally.  

+1

Although I, like most surgeons, generally prefer to place implants below the muscle, I do usually place implants above the muscle in bodybuilders, whose strong pectoral muscles tend to push the implants too low and too far toward the sides, both early on and later. 

Surgeons can use and under the fascia approach to somewhat decrease the chances or rippling, and/or use the new "form stable" implants that are less likely to ripple.

All the best.