5 weeks post op, Asymmetry After BA, is It Likely to Resolve on Its Own? (photo)

Since about a week after surgery my right breast has been softer and looked slightly smaller/less round, and the left still feels more firm, especially on top, and has a more round appearance. The left nipple also points out while the right is more centered. My doctor said I need to start massaging to help my left breast drop. Are they likely to end up looking and feeling alike? About me... 5'2, 115, average symmetrical B cup pre BA. 5 weeks post op, 450 silicone, dual plane placement.

Asymmetry Resolve On Own After BAM?

+1

Although you have a slight asymmetry, I think you are right on track with the healing process.  Give it more time and they should settle in more, but keep in mind that no patient is exactly symmetrical, everyone is slightly different.  If I could see a pre-op photo, I would know where your nipples were before your surgery.  Typically, if your left one pointed outward pre-op, then it will do the same and may be more noticeable post-op.  Follow your surgeon's recommendations about massaging, make sure to address your concerns with him at your follow up appts and stay in good communication with him. ac

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry After BA, is It Likely to Resolve on Its Own?

+1

You failed to post a before photo! And the photos show a very nice early result. Seems your realistic expectations will not be met. 

Breast asymmetry

+1

Breast asymmetry is the norm rather than not. Give your breasts some more time to settle.  Sometimes patients need a lift as well.

Asymmetry after augmentation? No problem here.

+1

Actually you might feel there are slight differences, though there always are to some degree. Your pictures show a very nice and even result which is likely to continue to improve with further healing.

Assymetry of Breasts Post-Operatively

+1

Following breast augmentation, both breasts usually do not heal at the same rate.  From your description, the right breast has settled quicker than the left.  Your right breast has less roundness superiorly, may feel softer, and the nipple is centered, while the left implant is higher and gives a more rounded look and the nipple sits lower.  These descriptions are normal post-operatively.  I recommend you aggressively massage the left implant to help it settle quicker, with less massage on the right.  Continue to follow with your doctor to make sure you accomplish this goal. 

Thank you

Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Asymmetry after BA

+1

There does not appear to be significant asymmetry in your photo with your arms out to the side.  The implants appear to be sitting a little high, but this would not be unusual at this stage.  They can take up to six months to fully settle or drop.  You should know that all women have some asymmetry of their breasts.  The final appearance will develop over time.  Be patient.  Exercises to help the implants settle may be warranted.  You should speak with your surgeon for their recommendations.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry After BA, is It Likely to Resolve on Its Own

+1

These look quite even when your arms are even. 

When you raise an arm, in changes the appearance of the breast and often the apparent size. I see no problem here. All the best.