Is a tummy tuck my only option to prevent future hernias and repair the muscles? (photos)

I am considering a mini tummy tuck. I have had two cesarean sections (one a twin pregnancy). I had an umbilical hernia repair two years ago. I recently had Cool Sculpting and discovered I now have another umbilical hernia. I did the Cool Sculpting because I did not want the downtime of surgery, but wanted to improve the appearance of my abdomen. What are my options to prevent another hernia and repair the muscles of my abdomen?

Is a tummy tuck my only option to prevent future hernias and repair the muscles?

+2
A mini (or modified) tummy tuck is not a treatment for a hernia.  The hernia CAN be treated during that procedure (depending on exactly where it is), possibly by another surgeon (such as a general surgeon). 

But based on the photo I don't know if the Mini TT will extend far enough to reach the hernia - is it above the BB?

As always, you'll do best with an examination in person by a board-certified plastic surgeon.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of RealSelf100

+1
It is a rare individual in whom the minitummy tuck produces the best result. However, I would need to examine you to make that determination.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year. Look for great reviews and great before and after pictures.

+1
Based upon the posted photos there are NO options. BTW did you obtain any improvement from the CoolSculpting??? 

Repairing hernia

+1
You have the option of simply repairing the hernia. Unfortunately Cool Sculpt is not a substitute for a tummy tuck by any means and has absolutely no effect on the musculature.  An exam would be necessary to evaluate you for a mini tuck as opposed to a more extensive procedure.

Robert L. Kraft, MD