PFM Bridge with Metal Chewing Surface Adjustment? (photo)

I got a 3-unit bridge for teeth #2, 3, 4 with porcelain on the buccal side and metal on the lingual side and chewing surface. In rest position it feels pretty good but when chewing my lower teeth keep banging on the buccal and lingual tips of the bridge. I think the sides of the bridge are too long. When I move my lower jaw to the side my molars touch while my canines don't. Is this something that can be adjusted in the dentist's office or does it need to be sent back to the lab?

Adjustment of bite on dental bridge

+1

Based on what you described, you need the bite adjusted on the bridge before the porcelain starts breaking off.  The teeth should not contact the bridge as you describe.  It is normal however to have the bite adjusted after a bridge is placed to get it comfortable after you have a chance to use it.

Ontario Cosmetic Dentist

Bridge adjustment

+1

It definitely sounds like you need your bite adjusted.  Since the bridge is cemented in your mouth it probably cannot be removed and sent back to the lab so your dentist is going to have to make the adjustments in your office.  Talk to your dentist about your concerns and see if they can fix the issue that you may be having

Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Adjusting a PFM Bridge in Lateral Excursions

+1

Proper occlusion is extremely important whenever any dental restoration is placed in the mouth. Occlusion is the way the upper and lower teeth meet, not only when closing straight down, but in all the lateral and protrusive movements that your jaw can travel. If you are "banging" into the bridge, you will either break the bridge, break the teeth below it, or loosen the teeth in their bony socket, and ultimately lose the teeth. All the occlusion issues should have been taken into account prior to permanently inserting the bridge, but certainly can and should be addressed NOW!

New York Cosmetic Dentist